Saturday, December 22, 2007

Dinner with Grandpa

So, after work yesterday (I got to leave at 2:30!), I went over to Grandpa's to get the charger for my phone (that had been dead since Tuesday). I guess Grandpa's discovery of the charger in his basement caused quite a bit of distress for him as he was unable to reach me (because my phone was dead) and had been calling Aunt Cheryl in a panic asking what he should do about it. Well, I was able to get it from him without incident, I figured I shouldn't just grab it and run, so Grandpa and I sat down in his kitchen and chatted for a bit. He was talking about how happy his party made him (great job everyone!) and how he struggled with what to say in his thank you cards and the email he sent to all of us (both of which about made me cry). Isn't he cute? He then asked me if I wanted to go get dinner. Now, in my head I was thinking "well, it's only 4pm...." but it's Grandpa! How could I tell him no? So off we went to the place of his choice-Steak and Shake, he commented that I was holding my steering wheel correctly (hello people-if you hold your hands at the typical 10 and 2 positions and you have side airbags-they will BREAK YOUR WRISTS if you are in an accident!!! Didn't y'all know that?). We had a nice dinner, although I think Grandpa scared our poor little server when he admonished her for not bringing him a spoon for his coffee....after that, I headed back down south where I decided to purchase a splint for my thumb. It was feeling better throughout the week, but yesterday the pain was so bad at times that I wanted to cry. I'm too cheap to go get it x-rayed (thanks to my awesomely crappy insurance), so I'm gonna try fixing it myself (smart idea, huh?). I must say, it is rather difficult to type with a splint on. Also difficult to carry the laundry basket downstairs...dammit, I may end up at urgent care after all.......

No comments: