Sunday, November 06, 2005

Karaoke-a study in human behavior

What an interesting phenomenon karaoke is. Seemingly mild-mannered people all of a sudden become Diana Ross, or Garth Brooks, or the chick that sings "I Will Survive". It's the chance for the truly talentless to shine. Everyone around them is drunk, so no one cares. My favorite karaoke experience took place in some random bar in Columbia, MO and it involved my dear friend Canada. Now, Canada was/is a big Police fan so, he decided to sing "Roxanne". If anyone knows the song, you know that Sting hits some pretty high notes. Well, Canada being Canada, he, uh...hit the notes too. It was so horrible that everyone in the bar was cheering for the horribleness. It was awesome. That, and we signed Deven up to sing a New Kids on the Block song.....Last nights karaoke experience was an interesting one. Shannon was cracking me up with her signature dance moves, all of us were singing into our beer bottles and we even got up to belt out "YMCA" and helped Denise with "I Will Survive". Then....there were the random dudes hitting on me. Ever since I dropped 20 pounds.....I have been hit on more this year that in the rest of my life total. I really shouldn't complain, but I also don't know what to do with it. I get all embarrassed. This one dude last night was at least 45-he wanted to dance and I was like "uh, we're getting ready to leave". That wasn't a total lie....we left about 20 minutes later....There was some other dude that kept dancing behind me, the look on my face was pure horror, Sarah was cracking up at me...oh yea, and there was another old dude-you know the type-stands in the corner, leering, is probably an alcoholic and is hoping, maybe, just maybe, tonight will be the night that some young thing will talk to him....He asked me my name and tried to grab my hand...Not so much dude. The song "My Humps" started going thru my head, you know the line "don't pull on my hand boy, you ain't my man boy". I really just wanted a night to be with some of my girls and hang, ya know? I wasn't out man-hunting. But if I ever am, I know where to go...

HEIDI-your dude was there!!! You know, the old guy with the toupee? The one who called you a "witch"? His name is Mikey, I found out. He didn't sing the witch song, but he sang plenty of other Frank Sinatra-esque songs. Reminded me of that night when he sang to you and you were like "uh, I need a shot". I ran to the bar and took care of you.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kerri,

I don't know what you are talking about?!? I NAILED those notes, and they were cheering for . . . ok, your right, it was probably the worst rendition of a Police song ever. As soon as I saw the "Karaoke" in the title of your blog, that was the first thing that popped into my head too. The look on Deven's face when the DJ announced that he would be doing Hanging Tough was something I will never forget . . . nor will I forget the fact that a couple minutes later he was belting it out with more emotion than CB playing a video game.

P.S. : Congratulations on the male cougar (is there a name for male cougars . . . I know cougar and then dragon for the females, but is there a similar scale for guys?)

Canada

Heidi said...

OMG, I can't believe you saw that old man again. How awesome was it that I asked for a shot and 10 seconds later you had one in hand for me??? I'll never forget it!

KD said...

I was so excited to see the old man! He had a hat on that covered his toupee, but I know it was him! It made me laugh so hard, and no one else thought it was funny....but you would have!