Tuesday, December 06, 2005

sleep deprivation could kill a man (or woman)

Ugh. Today is gonna be a six-pack of Diet Coke/big bag of Skittles day. I was blessed with a call from work at 2:30 this morning. Normally, this is fine with me. I am a very light sleeper and most nights I am still awake at 2:30 anyway. Not last night-I think I fell asleep sometime between 1:45-2:30. For some reason, I was out like a light. Totally in deep sleep, something brought me back to near consciousness. I soon figured out that it was my work cell ringing (when did I change the ring tone?), I quickly sat up (after orienting myself to where the phone was) and answered it in my most professional voice. Aisha, the CIC who called me asks "did I wake you up?". My reply? "Oh yea". I vaguely remember the question presented to me, I'm hoping I told her the right thing to do, guess I'll find that out when I get to work this afternoon. Once that was over the challenge of falling back asleep was presented to me. I'm not one of those people that can just go back to sleep. No, I laid there for about an hour before drifting off to la-la land (keep up-it's now 3:30am). Life is good (although this sleep was not nearly as deep and I tossed and turned a lot) until 8:00am. This is when Chloe decided it is time for her to start barking and whining from the basement. Now, most days she doesn't wake me until at least 10:00am. I thought we had an understood agreement on this. Apparently I was wrong. You know how irrational you can get when sleep deprived? Well, I dragged my sleepy ass downstairs, unchained Chloe, brought her upstairs to my room and tried to go back to sleep. Miss Chloe wanted to play, however, and I soon burst into tears, saying "I just want some f***ing sleep"....I told you I was irrational. Apparently my taking her outside at midnight to poop wasn't good enough for her. Chloe did manage to calm herself and laid down in the floor allowing me a bit more sleep (when she wasn't jumping on my bed and licking me).

It's 11:15am and I am just about done with my first Diet Coke. Good thing I have reinforcements in the fridge. Too bad my big bag of Skittles is at work.

P.S. Chloe is now sleeping peacefully in the hallway. I'm gonna go bark in her ear.

No comments: