Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Nine hour work days

I was like a panicked mother hen tonight. Our overnight person was 20 minutes late, very unlike her. She hadn't called in to say she'd be late, so by 11:20 I was a bit concerned. I didn't at all care that I would have to stay until she arrived. I was worried that something happened to her. That got the rest of the ladies worked up. I thought either something has happened or she has the night off and there has been some schedule confusion. I then began to prepare myself for the possibility of working the overnight shift, thus completing a 16 hour shift. I first tried to call her on her cell and had to leave a msg. She finally called back a short time later, apparently my call had awakened her. She apparently wasn't feeling well earlier in the day so she took some Benadryl and proceeded to sleep nearly 12 hours and had overslept. I was just so relieved that she was alive that I didn't care what time she made it in. She ended up only being an hour late, so I only had to stay an extra hour. I figured I had nothing to lose since I am on call anyway, so I stayed and got some more work done.

Now I'm hoping and praying for no calls tonight given last nights wake up call and Chloe waking me at 8:00am. If they do call though, its fine. It's my job. And its only for a week. I'll get a blessed six week reprieve before I have to be on call again....

No comments: