Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse/I Wear My Sunglasses At Night

Heidi, you'll LOVE this one.

Ok, so you've heard my tales of Coughing Girl from the crisis line. Just when I thought she couldn't possibly be any more psychosomatic, she tops herself. This is so amazing I'm not sure I can put it into words.

So, now she is going around telling everyone that she has some sort of "light sensitivity disorder" and that this apparently runs in her family so now she must take measures to protect her eyes (this "disorder" apparently affects her sinuses......yea). What measures you may ask? Well how bout wearing sunglasses 24/7-EVEN INDOORS. Who the hell are you, Ray Charles? AND she is also wearing a hoodie, with the hood on (is this to protect the sinuses on the top of her head?). There are of course the old standby's-the vibrating pad thing she sits on, the constant sniffling and the explanation of her many ailments to anyone that will listen.

I make fun, but really, she is actually quite sad. It is clear she is ill-not physically but mentally. Alex challenged me to diagnose her today and here is what I came up with (those of you who know her, let me know if you agree).

Axis I: R/O Somatoform Disorder
Axis II: Mixed Cluster B traits
R/O Histrionic Personality Disorder

Being a mental health professional is SO much fun, especially when it's your co-workers that are the crazy ones!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

OMG, i am laughing so hard. Are you SERIOUS? No way. Well, I guess it was inevitable since she was could not get any attention with the lingering cough. I guess the next best thing is a sensitivity to light.....

Your diagnosis sounds right on, although perhaps a bit conservative. :)

KD said...

I knew you'd love it! Look at my post for today-I have decided that I now have Work Sensitivity D/O.Heidi, you know I can't even make this stuff up-this girl is NUTS! Alex kept harrassing me to look over at her, but I couldn't b/c I was afraid I'd laugh out loud. Yea, as far as the dx goes, maybe I should take the "r/o" outta there.... :)