Monday, October 22, 2007

Dallas Trip Part 2-I won't be a whore for history!

Ah, back home. After a harrowing experience at DFW, I am finally home (a bit dramatic, but you know....). So much to talk about-breaking most of my nails, nearly getting a concussion (more on that later) and my effing delayed flight, where do I start? Oh, and I bet you're wondering where the title came from, huh? More on that later as well.....the story picks up where we left off, Friday afternoon....

So, after my lunch with Uncle Rich at PF Chang's (uh, could that food BE any better? I think not), we managed to track Jon down at DFW (not so hard when you have someone who knows what they're doing with you!) and then Uncle Rich dropped us off at Red and Jon's house. Once there, Chloe was reunited with her daddy (VERY excited!) and Jon and I prepared to take on our next task-grocery shopping. Seems my sis left us a shopping list and it was our job to complete this mission. Imagine Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum (you can decide who was who) in the produce section of Tom Thumb (what kind of a grocery store name is that anyway?) trying to figure out what my sister meant by "fruit salad". Huh? We were so confused, we even asked the girl at the deli if they had any fruit salad made up, she just kinda looked at us like we were retarded (turns out, all my sister meant was a medley of fruits, which we finally managed to get). While at the store, mom calls me to advise that she and dad were at Red and Jon's house-one problem with that-no one was home. Nice, huh? Well, Jon in all his wisdom, remembered that he left the back door unlocked (real safe) so mom and dad were able to break in (I hear dad in the background saying he really had to pee-couldv'e gone my whole life without knowing that, but whatever...). Anyway, Jon and I got there a few minutes later, Red a few minutes after that, and all was well. Chloe was soooo excited to have so many humans there to pay attention to her! After a yummy dinner (where my father had not one but TWO beers!), we all crashed out about 10pm (PARTY!).

On Saturday, we all slept in as much as Chloe would let us, had a lite breakfast and then headed off for the Dallas Arboretum (think the Botanical Gardens), which was actually a pretty cool place. It over looked some lake and you could see the Dallas skyline-very cool. We spent quite a bit of time there. Dad was, of course, telling us the names of all the plants in Latin (and was right most of the time). From there, we headed to downtown Dallas to go see the Grassy Knoll-the site of where JFK was shot and killed. Before that, however, we stopped to eat lunch at this place called Gators. PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT-do not EVER eat there! Let me tell you why-after our re re waiter took our orders, we just sat there, sipping on our drinks...then we sat there, and sat there and sat there.....for nearly an hour. Not good. We even asked the manager why our simple orders were taking so long. Well, since he was a re re too, he didn't know. Then my sis saw him and our waiter searching through the tickets and it became clear-they never put our order in! That was enough to set Red off-they came to our table, she announced we were leaving due to the extremely poor service and basically told them how horrible they were. But the best part was, my darling sis says "oh, and thanks for comping us our drinks", before they even offered to, because we were damned if we were paying for them! The manager was mildly apologetic-says he'll take care of us next time we are there-I said there won't be a next time and decided to make it my mission to bad mouth the place....a holes. We managed to find a Chipotle down the street, got some lunch (which was very good!) and then headed for the grassy knoll and the book depository-which is where Lee Harvey Oswald supposedly shot JFK from. We all kinda got an eerie feeling just being there, we decided to go on up to the museum to see more stuff. This is where today's title comes in.....as we get near the ticket line, we see that the admission price for the museum is $13.50 per person. This is when my good Christian lady mother says "I won't be a whore for history". Wow. On to the third and final chapter of our Dallas trip.....

1 comment:

Heidi said...

oh my god, you are SO right about Gators. When I was there for that school conference, me and my Gma went there for lunch. We waited FOREVER for our lunch and we couldn't get anyone to get us refills on our drinks. And, how strange, that same day we also went to the JFK museum place right after lunch. Great minds think alike.