Thursday, December 28, 2006

2006-a year in review. Get your kleenex out now.

2006. What a year. It was good, it was bad, it was ugly sometimes, but regardless, I wouldn't change a thing. I know that sounds surprising, but one thing I have learned is that even bad stuff can teach you a lot about yourself. It really does build character and make you stronger. A lot happened to me this year. Some of the highlights:
1. I got to fall head over heels in love (truly for the first time in my life).
2. I turned 30 and it wasn't as horrible as I imagined it would be. Now, 31 on the otherhand...
3. I got my first tattoo (still don't regret it!).
4. I finally got rid of the Crapalier and got a brand new 2006 Mazda 3-and I still love it!
5. I left the crisis line after 6 years to sell out and work for a managed care company, only to return to the crisis line on a part time basis in November.
6. Lastly, but certainly not least, I got to get my first ever broken heart. Doesn't that sound like fun? I don't recommend it.

I learned some valuable lessons this year. I've learned that it's ok to fall in love and let yourself trust another person-even if you are opening yourself up to potentially get hurt. I've learned that turning 30 isn't so bad after all. It really is just a number. I've learned that, as much as it hurts, a broken heart isn't a totally bad thing. It forces you to think about what's really important in life and allows you to look at yourself and make positive changes in your life. I've learned to never take my family and friends for granted. Never will I let something or someone get in the way of the people that will always be there for me no matter what. I've learned that I actually am a relationship person. I always thought they weren't for me, but I actually like being all domestic and stuff and now just have to find the right person for me. I've learned that I'm ok being by myself too. I've learned that I am really good at what I do for a living and it's ok to think so. I've learned it's ok to do shots at 11am with your Grandpa.

Truthfully, if there were some things I could change about this past year, I'd consider it. Certainly I would not have chosen to have my heart broken, or to be so unhappy for so many months that I wasn't even myself anymore, or to disappoint my family and friends, but, then again, if those things hadn't happened, I wouldn't be where I am today. And where is that, you may ask? Well, its a pretty good place. Gone is the depressed, unhappy me. The silly, sarcastic me is back. My focus is on today and the future, not the past. Yes, overall, the events of 2006 have made me a better person. I can't wait to see what life lessons are in store for 2007! But for the love of God, please no more broken hearts-I can't take it!

1 comment:

Cheryl Verde said...

I am so proud of you and all your discoveries and accomplishments! You are now on the road to newer and better life experiences. Don't look back....always face forward....it will be so much more interesting in the long run. I bet 2007 has a lot of happy surprises in store for you now that you are leaving the fog of 2006. Love ya Kerri!

Auntie C