Sunday, March 16, 2008

Reggie Jackson

Oh God. There was no one there to save me. Grandpa went on his rant about Reggie Jackson today. I had nowhere to turn, nowhere to hide. I don't even know what started it, you KNOW I didn't bring it up, and Uncle Jimmy's in Florida, so it wasn't him (the usual suspect). No, Grandpa was ranting without provocation today. God love him.

Today started out just fine. It's Palm Sunday, so in making good on my Lenten promise, I went to church. It was just me and Grandpa today as the Baumgartners are on their way to Florida. After church, I hung out with Grandpa at his house. He went on his rants about the Germans, Koreans and how today's military isn't the same as when he was in-you know, typical Sunday afternoon stuff. As we sat down to watch some pre-season Cardinals action, I knew I was in trouble as soon as they started showing some of the new players. Grandpa is VERY sensitive about player numbers and who should be wearing what, and what numbers should be retired, etc. I heard all about Joe Medwick (sp?) and Keith Hernandez and did you know they even DARED re-use Whitey Herzog's number?????? I mean, the nerve! Then it happened-Grandpa mentioned his all-time favorite player, Terry Moore and it was ON from there. Not two seconds later he mentioned Reggie Jackson and the rant about how he doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame began. The headache I had worked so hard to get rid of earlier in the day had returned with a vengeance. I love my Grandpa, I really do. And I think everyone in the family is feeling my pain as we have all had to endure the Reggie Jackson rant.....at least a half a million times, or more. Happy Sunday everyone! And I hate you all for not being there.... ;)

Ick. I have to go back to work tomorrow after having been off for the last week. I gotta be honest, I'm not at all looking forward to it. Blah. I AM looking forward to seeing Red and Jon and my parents and Tim next weekend. Not to mention my out of town cousins I haven't seen in forever. THAT is what will get me through the week. I'm sleepy now, I think I'm gonna go to bed. With visions of Reggie Jackson dancing in my head.................................

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How are you going to keep a member of the 500 Club (pre steroids) out of the Hall of Fame?

Broker said...

We were there in spirit, Kerri. :)