Friday, October 23, 2009

For all the female baseball fans (and, I suppose men too if you're into that sort of thing)

I'm taking a poll, ladies. Who was your very first baseball crush? Or sports crush in general. Seeing Ron Darling in the broadcast booth got me thinking about this (he was pretty cute back in the day. Now he's just bloated and weird looking).
don't tell me that 'stache ain't hot!
Instantly, my thoughts went to my first baseball crush...........Keith Hernandez, who, at the time, was the 1st baseman for the Cardinals (who knew he'd end up being a coke head and starring in a Seinfeld episode???). My sister was in love with his 2nd base counterpart, Tommy Herr (ahhh, the golden curls!). Granted, this was the early '80's, but still. It's pretty funny that I crushed on a dude with a 'stache considering my feelings about them now as a semi-adult.
check out the golden curls on Tommy Herr!

In the late '80's, I moved on to the Cubbies and grew to love one Mark Grace as well as Ryne Sandberg (both of which still look pretty good-no bloating and weirdness here! Just old.). That's why they are my dream team to be the Cubs manager and bench coach. Then, I can still ogle them, even if they're middle-aged now. Ahhh....dare to dream.
Ryno and Gracie....STILL love them!

In other sports, I discovered hockey right about the time I discovered the Cubs (so THAT'S where we went wrong...). And I was in love, love, LOVE with Blues center Peter Zezel. IN LOVE, I tell you. My sister and I wanted to marry him. I mean, that mullet was HOT! That's why I was so saddened to hear of his death earlier this year. My first hockey crush, gone WAY too young. Around that same time, I also developed love for Steve Yzerman (still hot) and Mike Modano (also still hot).
remember when he was in the move "Youngblood"?
Stevie Y is still a hottie, missing teeth and all!
You're welcome for this one, ladies!

I've never actually had a basketball crush or football crush (unless my current crush on Chase Daniel counts). I mean, I do watch the sports for the love of the game, but it sure is way more fun if there are some hot mens to look at. Am I right ladies???

7 comments:

Blue said...

KH was a coke head? How did I miss that?

KD said...

Yea Blue, I think it was around the time he went to the pond scum Mets. :)

Blue said...

I wonder if he was snorting with Darryl Strawberry.
Strawberry could have been one of the great power hitters if not for his coke habits.

ern said...

you crack me up, kerr. keith hernandez...really? how dorky is he in that SI pic. however, i believe you have told of this crush before. but i have to say Ryno and Grace are my dream team too.

KD said...

in my defense, I loved Keith Hernandez when I was like 6 or 7 years old. I clearly didn't have very good taste,alright? Seems that trait has stuck with me on/off through the years.....

Jen Estes said...

I would still bone Ryno & Gracie. Don't judge me. (Not that YOU would!) :D

Keith Hernandez looks like Mr. Kotter in that SI pic. Please tell me Mr. Kotter wasn't a cokehead too...

KD said...

Jen, you know I would NEVER judge you. Besides, you've got too much dirt on me. ;) And besides that, I still think Gracie is HOT. Ryno's lookin a little old, but Mark Grace? Yes, please.

I don't know about Mr. Kotter's drug habits, but I'm fairly certain KH and Darryl Strawberry were snortin' the cocaine together. Hell, it was the '80's. Did everyone snort coke in the '80s????