Friday, October 16, 2009

The boy in the balloon

I'm upset with the Boy In The Balloon. You know what I'm talking about-the kid in Colorado that was supposedly floating in a homemade giant balloon that his dad had made (first of all, WTF? Who has a giant silver balloon that looks like a flying saucer in their backyard???). Why am I upset with him, you may ask? Well, let me take you back to yesterday afternoon.

We received an email from our colleague Nick who is on my team but telecommutes....from Denver. He told us about the developing story of the boy in the balloon, so we quickly logged on to CNN. com and/or MSNBC.com to find out what was going on. At one point, there were 10-12 of us gathered around my friend Amy's computer, watching live footage of the balloon floating through the air. Most of us were pretty upset about it, thinking about that poor 6 year old kid being trapped in the damn thing. And when one of the reporters indicated that the kid may have run out of oxygen and could be dead, our level of upset increased. We were now emotionally attached to this story. And, when the balloon landed with no kid inside, many of us assumed the worst, that he fell out of it and was probably lying on the ground dead somewhere. It was truly a heart breaking afternoon.

So, imagine my surprise when it turns out that not only was the kid safe and had been hiding in the garage all along, but he also heard everyone looking for him yet did not come out. Then, later on Larry King Live, the kid suggested that this may have been a hoax all along. Excuse me? So, an entire nation spent the day being upset and worried about the kid's safety, and it was all a publicity stunt? If that's the case, his parents need to be smacked. And he needs to be grounded. Just sayin.....

And this is why I don't watch the news.

5 comments:

ern said...

and then I found out the kid's name is falcon. that just annoyed me even more. try putting that on the top of your resume.

Blue said...

ern....lmao
I too was annoyed when I heard his name was Falcon. I believe it was all set up by the parents.

Jen Estes said...

Love this post KD - LMAO!

"Falcon". *begin rant* You know, I have yet to spawn anything but I'm fairly certain that when I do, despite whatever hormones will be flowing through my body, I won't name my kid a bird. Or a fruit. Or really anything that isn't A NAME. They have these entire books - big books! - with name after name after name. You're telling me these people can't find one decent one in there? *end rant*

KD said...

Falcon. I wonder if that constitutes child abuse in the state of Colorado???

Jen Estes said...

Well if the whole hiding a 6-year-old in a box up in the attic while you ran a nationwide hoax doesn't get CPS's attention, maybe the name will?