Sunday, October 05, 2008

Safety check: not gonna drown myself in a tub full of Old Style

Well, I'm no longer having thoughts of drowning myself in a tub full of Old Style, so I'll take that to be a good sign. Yes, the Cubs depression continues, but not nearly as bad as last night (especially with Jen over at CUBblogging posting videos of Geovany Soto shirtless....that should tide me over until April...). I must say, the Haters out there (in my case, that would be Cardinals fans since I live in the STL), have been fairly kind so far. One of the biggest Cubs haters, my co-worker Chad, gave me some shit today when I walked into work, but when he saw the look on my face, he stopped. You see, I can be a good sport about it, that is unless you act like an assface. Then watch out, because I can out-bitch anyone, anytime. It's kinda a talent of mine. ;)
You know, I was thinking, it was much easier being a Cubs fan back in the Lovable Losers days, wasn't it? No expectations, no hope of them doing anything spectacular. It was easy and stress free. Now that they've given us something to hope for, a teaser if you will, the stress level has increased. Perhaps I should switch allegiances to a team that has no hope of ever doing anything, like the Pittsburgh Pirates. How stressful can it be cheering for them? Nah....I know in my heart of hearts I just can't do it. I've loved the Cubs for TWENTY years now. It's officially in my blood. I'm a goner. My co-worker Chad just asked me what's next-do I continue watching the MLB playoffs? Do I switch sports? The answer is-I don't know. I think I'll watch the MLB playoffs from afar-I do hope the Rays well, and I'm actually sorta sorry to see that the Brewers will most likely be eliminated today (I can't believe I just said that about the Fatties....but they're the NL Central's last hope). I do have hope for Mizzou football (5-0 baby!) and am gonna try my darndest to get into Blues hockey this year (early reports look good). I think I'll take a bit of a sports respite to heal my Cubs wounds, to focus on the positive (getting to see my Canadian in THREE days is certainly one of the positive things I'm focusing on). I'll keep in touch with my favorite Cubs bloggers as we support each other in our Cubs Depression and focus on a group trip to Spring Training....right? Thanks for the memories Cubbies.....or something like that.

No comments: