Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Canada bound

Hello there peeps! I know you haven't heard much from me since my Cubbies sad demise. Truth is, not only have I been healing my Cubbie wounds, but I've also been extremely busy. Yes, the time for me to invade the great country of Canada is near. It's tomorrow, in fact. OMG, I am so excited!!!!! Gonna see that sassy Canadian boy after WAY too long. My first project for today/tomorrow is figuring out where the currency exchange places are here. You see, I initially had this bright idea that I would just use my debit card everywhere, I mean, they take those in Canada, right? It's not like I'm gonna be out on the plains of Alberta or anything like that...so, anyway, that was my plan, until I was told that when you use your debit card outside of the US, you get charged a service fee. A fee to use my own money? Uh.....I don't think so. SO, I'm off to find what I have been calling "Canada money". I wanted to just walk into my local Commerce Bank with a fist full of $20's and say "Can I have some Canada money, please?". Mike thought that probably wouldn't be the best idea, so I had to re-think my plan. Michele says there are currency places at the airport. Having never needed them before, I'm not so sure that's true. So, today's project is to find a place I can go in the morning so I can get me some Canada money. Wish me luck.

My other big project has been....packing. Now, this may not sound like a difficult task, but let me tell you-it is. For one thing, I'm going to a different climate. According to weather.com, it will be in the mid-50's during the day in the Vancouver area, and in the 40's at night. That's cold in my books. And my Canadian informed me that it is raining there. This is not good news. Have you seen my hair when it's rainy? We're talking big and frizzy. Think Jon Bon Jovi circa 1988 big. You think I'm kidding? Ask the people around me today because I'm sporting a similar look. Yikes. Aside from my quest to find Canada money, and ensuring I am bringing enough hair product to somewhat de-frizz, I think I am good to go. Tomorrow promises to be quite the long day-meeting Uncle Jimmy at 11:00am for my ride to the airport (for which I am SOOOOOO grateful!), then not one but TWO flights...yes, seems there is no real easy way to get to Vancouver from here....I'm heading to the West Coast via....Cincinnati. It's true. From Cincinnatti I'll be flying to Seattle (a short FIVE HOUR flight), then from Seattle to Vancouver. I see lots of sleep in my future...I have my Dramamine in my carry on, ready to roll. The end result is getting to see my Canadian...so, the long day will be totally worth it. DT, if you greet me at the airport with a "welcome to our country" sign, I will kill you. ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Usually airport currency exchanges offer less than favourable rates.

KD said...

Thanks for the heads up! I'll get my Canada money yet! :)

Anonymous said...

If you want you can get your Canada money here. You don't really need it before you get here.

Diane said...

Don't bring too much hair product in your carry-on --- they'll confiscate it if it's more than 3(?) oz (they took a can of Uncle Jimmy's expensive hair spray away from him last time he traveled because it was too big....and of course, he does look like a crazy terrorist who is going to mace people with a can of hair spray! Right!) I'll be at work when you come over today, so I won't get to see you --- have a FABULOUS time! No encounters with the Mounties, eh?

KD said...

Aunt D-don't worry, everything is secured in a 3 oz or less bottle. A pain in my ass, but whatever! Here's hoping the TSA finds my packing acceptable....and I'm scared of the Mounties,so no encounters here! I mean, the ride HORSES! :)

Broker said...

Denise Morgan knows a little about getting foreign currency in the U.S. She may try to deny it, though. Ha ha ha!!!