Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Rest in peace Mitch....we're sure gonna miss you

Ugh, I am so profoundly sad today. Our good family friend, Mitch Stauffer, passed away today after a long, hard battle with cancer. I think it is still sinking in that he's gone. He'd only been home from the hospital a week. Wow. I just can't help but to think of his poor wife, Bonny and their son, Billy. I can't imagine what it must feel like to lose your husband or your father. It's hard enough losing a friend-someone you've known your entire life. Someone your dad has known since they were punk kids growing up on the streets of Hazelwood, Mo. :) It's just tough. This is the part of life that really sucks, ya know?

I think the thing I'll miss the most about Mitch is the light he brought into a room. The man could tell himself some stories! Sure, most of them were a bit exaggerated, but they were always funny (and almost always involved some detail about my dad beating someone up when they were kids....). :) Mitch loved to laugh, loved to entertain and God did he love to go fishing! He was just a great, great guy, with a big heart and he is going to be missed by so many people.

Having just gone to a wake last night, I must now prepare myself for yet another round. I'm calling an end to all this sadness after this one, ya got it? I've had my fill. Hit my quota. Thanks. My family will be in town to attend the memorial this weekend and to pay our last final respects to a man who I know is watching down on us all tonight. I'm really gonna miss him and am just so thankful I got to see him a couple of times recently. I will forever hold on to those memories.

No comments: