Wednesday, September 29, 2010

New Weezer CD Review.......two weeks later

I have listened to nothing but Weezer's new CD since I purchased it two weeks ago. I mean literally, nothing. I love it that much. Still. Now that I know the songs I thought I'd provide an updated review of the CD...granted, I realize no one but me cares, but it's my blog, so shut the F up. I kid! I kid!

So, the opener, and first single, "Memories", was one that had to grow on me. I didn't really like it the first time I heard it. Once I accepted the fact that synthesizers are apparently back, I gave it a chance. It's still not my favorite, but I can tolerate it.

The 2nd song, "Ruling Me" is frickin awesome. With background vocals by Semisonic's Dan Wilson, it sounds like old school Weezer-we're talking blue album, Buddy Holly Weezer. It's some good times and is in my head right now.

The 3rd song, "Trainwrecks", has a couple dumb lyrics, but it also has a lyric in which Rivers proclaims "we're still kicking ass". Love that.

Song 4 is "Unspoken" and is amazing. It starts as a little guitar diddy but the end of the song will KICK YOUR ASS. For reals. I get chills.

Song 5 is "Where's My Sex?" and has been panned by critics, but I find it hilarious. It's kooky and weird in that old-school Weezer sort of way, think "Undone" but faster. Rivers voice sounds weird but interesting. I dig it.

Song 6 I absolutely love. It's called "Run Away". Kinda un-Weezer like, but I totally dig it. One of my favorites on the album.

Song 7 is called "Hang On" and is also one of my favorites. With actor Michael Cera playing mandolin and singing background vocals, what's not to love? I mean, seriously?

Song 8 is "Smart Girls". I know my brother digs this one. This is also old-school Weezer-esque, kinda dumb, but that's why we love them, right?

Song 9 is called "Brave New World". Not my favorite, but still a good song. There's a lot of words, which is unusual for Weezer and thus, hard for me to follow. I'm a simple girl.

Song 10 is "Time Flies". It sounds unlike any Weezer song I've ever heard. To me, it's kinda Beatles-esque.

There are four bonus tracks if you get the deluxe version. The first bonus song is "All My Friends are Insects". Weezer performed this on the kids show "Yo Gabba Gabba". It's fun and catchy. My brother played it for my niece who, sadly, was not impressed. The next song is a cover of Coldplay's "Viva La Vida". This is the only song I skip on the CD, I don't dig Coldplay, but I will say Weezer makes the song tolerable. The next song is "I Want To Be Something". It's just Rivers and his guitar. I dig it. The last song is "Represent", which, apparently, was the theme song for the US Men's Soccer Team this year. Who knew? It makes sense. It's kinda an anthem song. I like it.

For me, this CD ranks right behind Pinkerton and the Blue Album (their first). It's that good. I can't wait to listen to it on my 5 mile jog tonight!

3 comments:

Blue said...

Nice review KD, you should do this with other cd's that you purchase...lol. Let me know if you get any Nightwish or Within Temptation for review.....lol

KD said...

I have never heard of those bands Blue! :)

Blue said...

lol....They are more of hard rocking, metal, symphonic, operatic type music.