Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Cubs/Cards

Last night I finally realized that the Cardinals actually do suck. Even though a lot of their fans are giving up on them, I still kinda thought perhaps they'd pull it out and win this thing. That is, until they lost to the Shark. Yea.....for reals, I have NEVER seen Jeff Samardjiza pitch well. I mean, he's a running joke amongst us Cubs fans who cringe every time he's called up from AAA or is allowed to start again. His performance last night? NO runs, six hits, four walks. AND he had an RBI single! Not too shabby. And he didn't hit anyone like Jaime Garcia did (you do NOT hit my precious Tyler Colvin, you hear me punk????). I still can't believe the long haired freak won a game. In the MAJORS. Maybe his 11-3 record in AAA this year wasn't a fluke after all....

Sadly, the Cubs were officially eliminated from playoff contention last night. Really? I kinda thought that happened back in April.......

Dear St. Louis/Chicago media:
Randy Wells is NOT from St. Louis. He is from Belleville, Illinois. Yes, it's kinda by St. Louis, but so are a lot of places. If I was from Wentzville, Mo I wouldn't tell everyone I was from St. Louis. I'd say I was from Wentzville. Now, Ryan Howard is from St. Louis. Mark Buehrle is from St. Charles, which, again, is by St. Louis but is not actually St. Louis. Got it? Good.

That said, it is a homecoming of sorts for Wellsie tonight and, according to my Cards fan co-worker Jean, it should play to the Cubs favor tonight. Her theory is simple (and eerily accurate): when the Cards play against a team's ace, they will win. When they play against a teams schmucky pitcher, they will lose (exhibit A: losing last night to Shark). Sooooo, since Wellsie has had a pretty craptacular season, look for him to throw a no-hitter tonight. Awesome.

These games are meaningless for the Cubs (playing for pride, perhaps), but I always like seeing them play the Cardinals. And, thus far, I like Mike Quade as manager. He's kinda like "F U, I'll do what I want" and I, personally, like that sassiness.

5 comments:

Jen Estes said...

I think they say St. Louis instead of Belleville because they figure no one's ever heard of Belleville. Hellooooo, Cahokia Mounds Fifth Grade field trips, anyone???

You -- and Jean -- have sold me. One no-no coming up.

KD said...

you know what's funny is that I've never even been to Cahokia Mounds. it's like, five feet away, but whatever. :)

I think Jean is some sort of psychic, or witch or something. I mean, I was CONVINCED Sharkimfdkaljlda would implode last night, but she assured me the Cubs would win. I have very little confidence in Wellsie too, but Jean hath spoken.

Blue said...

I really thought that the Cards would whoop the Cubbies last night, I was surprised to see the final score.
You know, I as well like Quade as the manager, I think he's done pretty good with what he has and where the team is at the moment.
I have pretty much given up on the Cards to overtake the Reds, unless Big Mac breaks out his syringe.

KD said...

Don't put it past him, Blue! LOL! Um, and just sayin, a steroid-free Mac really has not been all that effective as a hitting coach. In fact, the Cards team BA is down from last year.

Blue said...

I don't think the will be back as the HC next season. I just recently traded away a bunch of his cards to a collector in Colorado, I just wish someone out there would collect Barry Bonds cards.....lol.
So are you sporting your Elvis purse today?.....lol