Thursday, September 16, 2010

New Weezer CD, Hurley....a little slice of happy

It's not a secret that I'm a huge Weezer fan. I've loved them since the Blue Album came out in 1994 (yikes...my senior year of high school...and it was um, 16 years ago. How the hell???). It's also not a secret that after Pinkerton, their second (and best) album, their subsequent albums were good-not great-but never quite compared to Blue or Pink. Until now.

Hurley, released on Tuesday, is vintage Weezer at their best. Not a bad song in the bunch. Seriously. Ok, maybe their remake of "Viva La Vida"...but only because I hate Coldplay. The songs are alternately hard core, funny and always nerd rock-y. For real, the song "Unspoken" blew my mind. It's a must hear. And "Where's My Sex" is hilarious. Rivers does a lot of different things with his voice this time, sounding a lot like the Rivers of the "Buddy Holly" days. Which is a good thing.

I now plan to stalk their site for any news of them coming to or near St. Louis. I haven't seen them live since 2008, it's long overdue.

If you like nerd rock, or like Weezer even just a little bit, I encourage you to go get this CD. And, for this week only, if you purchase it at Best Buy, the CD is only $7.99...the deluxe version is $9.99. I'd go with the deluxe-four extra songs (including the aforementioned "Viva La Vida").

WRA!

No comments: