Tuesday, April 22, 2008

An intellectual I am not

Ok, so I was at Barnes and Noble this weekend looking for some new stuff to read. As I glanced over the newest paperback releases it dawned on me that none of it seemed interesting. That's when I got my most brilliant idea yet-I, Kerri M. Davidson, would read the "classics" (think Moby Dick or A Catcher in the Rye). As I perused the classics section, I settled on two great American classics-The Scarlet Letter and Wuthering Heights. Excited with anticipation over broadening my literary horizons, I headed home to start reading. Mistake #1? Me thinking that for even a second I could play the role of "intellectual". I started reading The Scarlet Letter and I gotta tell ya, I have no effing clue what the hell Nathaniel Hawthorne is talking about. It's written in that old style English (which I totally don't get since the dialect I speak is "Southern Missouri"). I have made it to page SIX and have nothing to show for it but confusion and a literary headache. I think I'll stick to People and US Weekly....... does this mean I should throw out my MENSA application????

OMG, so last night I was doing my workout, sweating away, working on six pack abs when all of a sudden my toes on my left foot started cramping. Has this happened to you before? You really can't stand on them, I kinda dropped to the ground and threw my shoe off to try to get them under control. Once stabilized, I did the rest of my workout with no shoes on. And today I'm eating bananas.

I actually got to watch an entire Cubs game last night as they were on ESPN. It was a rather slow game, 2-1 into the 8th inning, then my boys came alive and scored 5 more runs to win it 7-1 and maintain their hold on first place in the NL Central (I was torn watching the Cards vs Brewers game because I wanted both of them to lose since they are the Cubs biggest competition....) :) At 13-6, the Cubbies are on a roll. Let's hope it stays that way. No need to get excited yet as it's only April......

I also watched Dancing With The Stars last night. I don't want to like Kristi Yamaguchi because I think she has an unfair advantage, but DAMN was she good last night! Her jive was awesome and got a perfect score. I thought the group dance was a big ol' mess, but it looked fun. I'm thinking the deaf chick may have danced her last dance-sorry, but it's true. Either her or Shannon Elizabeth who admittedly is hot, but is really boring.

Tonight is the best night of the week-American Idol night. LOVE IT!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "Classics" always seems to be a good idea . . . but you have to be careful picking them out. Just like with award winning movies, you want to avoid the "The English Patient" of the group.

KD said...

any recommendations? Amy said I should try Les Miserables.....

Anonymous said...

I really liked Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

KD said...

will I understand it? be honest, you know me..... :)

Anonymous said...

It's an older book, but I found it much easier to read than most other older books I have read. It didn't really have the language barrier that a lot of the classics do.

Unknown said...

I think you should really read up on the IKEA catalog so you know everything about the stuff you are going to buy this weekend!!! Or drink a 1/2 bottle fo wine before attempting anthing too serious.

KD said...

Girl please-already read the IKEA catalog last week at Book Club! ON IT! And you of all people KNOW I'm down for the half bottle of wine before doing, well, anything....Oh Tanya, you are so wise my friend!