Sunday, November 11, 2007

Personal Property Tax

The City of St. Louis just sent me a big "F you" in an envelope. Yes, that's right, I got my Personal Property Tax in the mail yesterday. This is my first year paying it for my pretty little car. What's the damage? How bout $393.20. Ouch-that hurts. Now, I know as an American, taxes are a part of life. I get it. I wanted to educate myself on just where my tax dollars are going, so imagine my surprise (and sarcastic laughter) when I saw that 57.8% goes to the St. Louis Public Schools. Are you freakin' kidding me? They are THE WORST schools in the ENTIRE state, it's a proven fact. I'd like to know just how they are using that money....and I was a bit offended to see that only 1.18% goes to fund Mental Health programs. Nice. I don't want any complaining then as the homeless/crazy continue to walk the streets of this fine city, you hear me?

I am sleepy today. Guess that's what a sleepless night will do to you. Ugh, been the story of my life lately. So, my Saturday was fairly uneventful. I did start Project Grandpa and am pretty proud of the job I've done so far. I wrote a letter to him that is the first page and I must admit, it made me cry (I am such a sap!). I spent the evening just watching movies (and fielding drunken text messages from Polster, not to mention a totally hilarious and rambling phone call at around 11pm.....I received an apology text this morning). This morning I was up bright and early to meet Sue and Renee for brunch at First Watch (YUM), only to discover as we were leaving that I had forgotten my wallet....sounds about right, doesn't it? Renee was kind enough to cover me, love you Renee Williams! I had to rush home after that so I could get said wallet, then I hightailed it up to Florissant for the Veteran's Day Parade (there was a tiny side trip to the Kirkwood Wal-Mart so I could purchase a lawn chair-the prospect of sitting on the ground after it had rained did not at all appeal to me). I was front and center on Washington, anxiously awaiting Grandpa and his fellow vets. As I saw his "float" approach, I realized he was on it, but on the other side, so I couldn't even see him to get a picture of him (well, I guess I could have tried to cross the street to see him but I was too afraid I'd get run over by a Shriner on one of those mini-cars, you gotta watch those bastards!). So, I got some pix of the truck he was riding in, continued to wave to the vets, and gathered candy for the kid next to me. Then I headed home to begin cleaning my apartment. Such a daunting project for sure, but it must be done. My mother will be here next weekend and the woman likes things clean! Besides, I have very little time to do it this week, so today it is! Luckily, I'm able to listen to the '80's station on Sirius, so it is helping the time go by quicker ("Angel" by Aerosmith is on right now).

Here's to a good week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't ya love that tax money going to education? I especially love the part where I live in the city, pay the tax, AND pay for private school because I don't want lovely MJ to get shot, learn to talk like a gangsta, or become a stripper. Seriously, don't even get me started. I'm pretty sure I want my mullet back.

KD said...

girl, I am soooo with you. i think i'm gonna become a political zealot like your hubby...i'm voting for Chief Wana Dubie for Governor in 2008. Who's with me?