Monday, November 19, 2007

Miss Davidson, you are allergic to......

EVERYTHING. The answer is: everything. Yikes. So, I went for my skin test at the allergist today. I was pretty pumped to finally see what all I am allergic to, to have my suspicions finally confirmed (I am too allergic to fruit!). For those of you that have never had this test done before, let me tell ya, it's a real treat. They stick you in the arms and back with various allergens. Then the plan is to watch how your skin reacts, if you develop welts, hives and itching well, then congratulations, you are allergic. So, as I was being stuck, the nurse informed me that I will need to sit with the allergen on me for at least 15 minutes, that if I started itching I COULDN'T SCRATCH. Are these people insane? So, as I get injected, I sit and wait. And then I see giant welts forming all up and down my arms, I look in the mirror and see my back looks the same, and all of it itches like crazy. This is my idea of hell-itching and not being able to scratch. I paced the room, tried to distract myself by reading, not much helped, it was quite possibly the longest 15 minutes of my life. SO not fun. When my doctor came in to read the results, I hear her saying a lot of "wow's" and "oh my's". That can't be good, right? Then she says "my child, you are severely allergic!". Good times, I think in my head, now where's the Benadryl because this itching is gonna cause me to lose my ever lovin' mind! Seriously. So, the final tally-I'm allergic to grass, weeds, trees, pollen, cats, dust and those pesky fruits (strawberries, kiwi, watermelon, cantaloupe, etc). I'm allergic to dogs a little bit-not like cats though. So, what's the best treatment for this? What I dreaded......allergy shots. Weekly. For the next year. Uh......does United Health Care pay for that? No really.......she said not everyone has to do the shots and that she sometimes gives people the option, but in my case, she really didn't give me an option. I also have to be on Allegra and Nasonex. Such fun. Guess we'll see if it helps!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

You poor thing. No wonder you are miserable during certain times of the year. The allergy shots will help BIG time.

Miss you!
Heidi

Anonymous said...

I did the shots once. Its a pain but worth it in the end. Karen