Monday, June 16, 2008

Further signs that the end of the world is coming...

Did everyone have a good weekend? Mine was fun, thanks for asking! I spent it in Salem with my family, always a good time to me!

Friday night, my parents and I participated in Dent County's Relay for Life. I had never participated in one of those before (it's for cancer research, survivors, etc.) and let me tell ya, it was a pretty moving experience and one I will do again next year. My friend from grade school, Carilee, was one of the organizers (and her mom, who I've known since I was five, is currently battling cancer), I got to talk to Carilee and her mom for a while, it was so great to see and talk to folks I haven't had contact with in years. I also got to see my favoritest teacher of all time-Mrs. Sullivan, who has now beaten cancer TWICE. She is an amazing woman, my mom got a picture of the two of us together, as soon as she forwards it to me, I plan on posting it. The relay really was amazing-they start with all the cancer survivors walking around the track which if you had any heart at all, would have moved you (I cried like a baby). Then each team had to have a team member walking on the track at all times-my parents and I took our hour time slot at 9pm...my dad, ever the competitive one, decided he wanted to do more laps than the lady that went before us, so...he lapped mom and I a couple of times (and we were power walking-no strolling here!). Dad made it 30 laps which was about 2.5 miles (I had my pedometer with me). The bank my mom works for sponsored a tent-each tent was also selling something to raise more money. My mom's tent was selling....deep fried twinkies. People, I'm telling you, they tasted like funnel cake. Our tent was very popular and I jumped right in to help, I didn't think anyone would want me in charge of actually making the twinkies, but I did work the front line and helped sell. It was way fun.

Saturday morning came all too soon with my father waking me up at 6:15am, saying "this is how we do it on the farm, girlie". Never mind that my parents don't even live on a farm, but whatever. So, we went into town for some breakfast-mom and dad's Saturday morning tradition-at the Main Street Cafe (located on, you guessed it, Main Street). After that, we hit the farmers market, dropped my car off for an oil change, went to Wal-Mart, picked up my car and headed back to the house...and did all of this by 9am. I was ready for a nap at that point, and tried to go back to bed but couldn't sleep. That afternoon, we headed out to the home of one of my parents neighbors (and by "neighbor" I mean someone that lives out on the county gravel roads with them..within a five mile radius), this lady has an absolutely beautiful house out in the middle of nowhere with a 17 acre lake. It was actually really fun meeting all my parents "neighbors" and one of them is actually working on her LPC (the same counseling license I have), so talking to her was quite fun and interesting.

Saturday evening we went over to my brothers new house that he is renting and, yes, he got my parents and I to play Rock Band with him. You have never seen anything funnier in your life until you've seen my mom rockin' out playing the guitar....I somehow got singing duties and Tim was on drums...we did some "Say It Ain't So" by Weezer and Tim and I did "Wanted Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi. It pretty much kicked ass. :)

Yesterday was church, spending time with my daddy for Father's Day, then me leaving immediately after church since I had to work at the crisis line. The crisis line was fairly uneventful, thank God because I really wasn't down with it being busy.

Now it's Monday. How does that always happen?

So, what is the sign that the end of the world is coming? Party people, the Chicago Cubs are TWENTY games over .500. Surely a sign. I HEART THEM!

No comments: