Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Oral surgery

This will be me tomorrow.......
Ok, so I've been freaking myself out reading things about wisdom tooth extraction on the internet. Probably not the best idea given my dental phobia, huh? I've read horror stories about dry sockets, people's faces swelling to near unrecognizable status, people being unable to eat solid food for THREE WEEKS (which, really, doesn't sound all that bad. Hello weight loss!), terrible, terrible things. I read this on the eve of my own wisdom tooth extraction surgery. Yikes. Yes, tomorrow morning at 9:00am, I will be "going under" and getting two wisdom teeth ripped from my head. I will be blissfully unaware (hopefully, although I did read one story of a guy who woke up in a trance-like state in the middle of his surgery and could "see" them operating on him-yowza) of what's happening to me, but anticipate being in pain afterwards. Luckily, I have my Auntie C taking care of me tomorrow. Given my inability to tolerate narcotics in the past, that should be fun. Auntie, I apologize in advance for anything I may say/do. You've been warned. I can't even be excited about being off work for two days because I'm FREAKING THE HELL OUT. I'm trying to decide what I should have for my Last Meal tonight, you know, in case I don't wake up tomorrow (hey people, it could happen). I've already let Mike know that should I not wake up, I am leaving all my worldly possessions to him, to which he replied "I don't want your crap". Such a sweet friend. Now, I realize I'm being overly dramatic about the whole situation. Some of that is for entertainment value, some of that comes from genuine anxiety. Either way, I'm sure I'll be fine and be in la la land in no time, however, should the fact that the oral surgeon's office 1. first called me to tell me I needed to schedule my appt when it was ALREADY SCHEDULED and 2. called me to advise me of my appointment and gave me the wrong time, concern me at all? My life is in their hands...I'm just sayin.....

8 comments:

Val said...

Thousands - dare I say millios have gone before you and have survived having their wisdom teeth extracted. Be brave my daughter. I'll be praying for you. -- Mom

KD said...

So mother, what you're really saying is stop being a big effin baby and just do it already....is that right? :)

Anonymous said...

hey kerri,
in two weeks i will go under the knife and have a human being ripped from my abdomen. and if that's not bad enough i have to take care of it for the next 18 yrs!!! scary, huh? love you, you will be fine.
eliz

Jen Estes said...

Poor KD! :(

I hope the de-teething went well. Mine was pretty much a worst case scenario (that's probably a little dramatic, since "worse case" is probably death) but I won't go into that...

I'll be thinking of you - may your narcotics take you to a fantasy land of Rami, Teddy, Kevin, Rich (and Lou?)!

Val said...

I love Elizabeth's description of the upcoming birth of her child. But 18 years to take care of it???? It's been 30 something years for me. Am I missing something?? :)

KD said...

Lizzard-your little "situation" is definitely worse than mine...yikes.

Jen-I love that little fantasyland suggestion....including Lou. :)

Mom-didn't you just tell me the other day that I would always be your baby? Was that a lie????? ;)

Val said...

No -- that wasn't a lie. I just didn't realize my obligation should have ended about 15 years ago. Who knew? I love all my babies.

KD said...

Alright then mother, you're forgiven. I think I'll be seeing you tomorrow....this surgery recovery thing is a piece of cake. Except for the nausea....