Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Former St. Louis Blues player, Peter Zezel, dies at the age of 44


Sad news today, Peter Zezel, former NHL player, and former St. Louis Blues player died at the age of 44.

It's sad, of course, but why is it significant to me, you may ask? Well, I'll tell you, back in the day, Peter Zezel was HOT. I mean, HOT. In fact, he was the sole reason my sister and I started watching hockey back in the early '90's. He had the hockey hair a flowin and was even featured in the hockey movie Youngblood (as seen below). Yes, he was by far my favorite player back in those early days. My sister and I would be glued to the TV screen trying to catch a glimpse of him. We'd never miss a game.
Apparently, he had some weird form of anemia and had recently had surgery to remove his spleen...and things went awry. I don't know, I was pretty sad to hear the news. From what I've read, sounds like he was a really great guy-had a hockey camp for kids, was close to his family and wanted his organs donated if/when he died. Pretty stand up guy. Sad stuff indeed.

No comments: