Wednesday, November 05, 2008

KD's reflections on the 2008 Presidential election

In my sleep deprived haze this morning, I'm not sure I can actually articulate what I want to say. I, like most Americans, was up late last night watching the election coverage. I said I wasn't going to, but I found myself totally engrossed in what was going on. I wanted to know what state voted Democrat and what state voted Republican (at KD blog press time, the jury was still out on Missouri...a mere 6,000 votes separated the two Presidential candidates with John McCain holding the slight lead. Not at all shocking, St. Louis City voted a whopping 84% for Obama!). I wanted to see Oprah Winfrey amid the crowd gathered at Grant Park in Chicago. I wanted to see history be made. In the end, America spoke LOUDLY and clearly....Barack Obama is the new President of the United States of America. As I tend to lean toward the Democratic side of things, I am happy about this (also happy that Missouri got smart and voted Jay Nixon in as our Governor....I thought he was a great Atty General and think he'll make a great governor. Hell, he's gotta be better than that moron we have in office right now, Matt Blunt). I'm not gonna lie to you folks-I got a little teary eyed last night (I know many of you will not be shocked by this as I tend to get teary eyed at most things). I thought Obama's speech was great (I mean, he promised his little girls a puppy!!!!) but I also thought John McCain's concession speech was great, he was very gracious, I really liked how he encouraged the crowd to be supportive of our new president. That John McCain is not such a bad guy!

This is an amazing time folks. We now have an African-American man as President. I certainly never thought I'd see it happen. Think what you want about Barack Obama, but you've gotta respect what he's been able to accomplish in his relatively short life in public office. I'm cautiously optimistic about our country's future. And is it just me, or is Joe Biden, our new Vice President, a little Bill Clinton-esque? You know in a totally I'm-cool/a total pimp sort of way.....No?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you just call Joe Biden a pimp? That is freaking sweet. I agree with all you have said as well. We let MJ stay up & watch. She was happy about the puppy.

KD said...

Yes, Rob, I did call Joe Biden a pimp? Do ya see it? He has a certain Bill Clinton quality to him. I just talked w/a woman in California who wanted to know if the ever decided how MO voted...last I heard it was still a draw....