Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Now that I've had time to reflect.....

I've had nearly 24 hours to digest the news that the Cubs have hired Mike Quade as their new manager. I have a bit more clarity now than when I had my initial reaction at finding out the news yesterday. And......I think it was the right decision. Now, don't get me wrong Cubs fans, I love Ryne Sandberg as much as the next guy (or gal). I grew up watching him play 2nd base for the Cubs and even at a young age, I knew he was great. And, I also know that he has done a marvelous job with the Cubs minor league teams, even earning the AAA manager of the year this year. I have no doubt Ryno will make a good MLB manager. But he's not the right fit.....right now. For those that argue that Ryno has paid his dues in the minors and deserves a shot at the majors, let me ask you this: Do you know who was the AAA Iowa manager prior to Ryno? Yep, Mike Quade. Do you know who has managed in the minors in one capacity or another for, like, the last 57 years (or 17, whatever)? Yep, Mike Quade again. Do you know who is completely hairless from head to toe? Right again, Mike Quade.

Mike Quade has earned the respect of the players, they responded well to him. I know, I know, I know that he got them at a time of the season where expectations were low and he had a full 40 man roster to work with...I get that. But the fact of the matter is, he made smart managing decisions. He started who was playing well. He didn't leave some old has been veteran in there just because he's a veteran and makes a billion dollars a year. He played the kids that were playing well. He's great with the media (let's face it, Lou's media interviews were awkward at best). He's sorta scary looking, but we can't base our decisions on that people!

I think going low key is smart. The Cubs have enough pressure on them, adding a big name star manager certainly wouldn't help things. Perhaps now they can just concentrate on playing baseball. Novel concept, eh? Maybe invest some of the money that would have been used for a big name manager and, oh, I don't know, get a decent first baseman? Or perhaps another bullpen pitcher so that our hopes and dreams don't have to ride on John Grabow? Just sayin.......

1 comment:

Blue said...

As you know, I as well like that Quade will be running the show, though like you and others, I wanted Ryno to get the keys to the car, but that can wait.
I think it would be best for Ryno to get his feet wet elsewhere for now and then if and when the time comes, he can take over at the friendly confines. By then we fans/players will know what kind of big league manager he is and what we can expect of him as the Cubs manager.....only time will tell.