Monday, December 14, 2009

I had to yell at Grandpa

I realize you're supposed to respect your elders and all, but when they do something really stupid, I feel you must point it out to them. The yelling comes from a good place. No, really.

So I was at Grandpa's house yesterday, as I am most Sundays. It was status quo-he asked me if I wanted coffee like he has every Sunday for the last 11 years and I said "no, I don't drink coffee" like I've said to him every Sunday for the last 11 years. He then asked me if I wanted an english muffin to which I gave my standard reply and lied, saying I'd already eaten (the truth is that I don't like english muffins and I HATE the butter Grandpa puts on it. He uses I Can't Believe It's Not Butter-gross. Believe you me, it ain't butter). Then as we're sitting there at the kitchen table, he casually advises me that he put up his outdoor Christmas lights by himself yesterday and FELL OFF THE LADDER. This is an issue for many reasons. 1. Because last year, he promised that this year, he would let someone else hang the lights for him and 2. because he is going to be 82 years old on Wednesday, he does not need to be climbing ladders! When he fell, he apparently hit his ribs, he's not gonna go to the doctor mind you to see if any of them are broken, even though he was still in pain yesterday. I yelled at him on behalf of the family, reminded him that he promised he'd let someone else do it this year and also that he lives alone and what if he'd been seriously injured and couldn't get up? What would he have done then? He sheepishly admitted he shouldn't have been up on a ladder but also at the same time minimized the situation. Never mind that this is the same guy that nearly severed his finger while sticking his hand IN a running lawnmower this summer. I certainly don't want to take his independence away because in most ways, he is still very high functioning. But, at 82, he just can't physically do some of the things he used to be able to do. He's so stubborn. I love him dearly, but he deserved a good talkin to yesterday. He also told me that he didn't want to celebrate his birthday again until he turned 90. While I'm glad he plans on living that long, I also reminded him that as the patriarch of the family, each and every birthday will be celebrated whether he likes it or not. :)

Grandpa may be the death of me. I'm glad I'm able to see him weekly and make sure he's doing ok but he is seriously worrying me. He's a wild man and pretty much out of control.

10 comments:

Blue said...

Dang, I have to say I fell once on the ship and jacked up my ribs bad, hurt like hell for about four months, I could not laugh or take deep breaths. I can imagine if he feels like I did at that time......he has to/must go see his Doc.
KD, maybe it's time to take GPa's ladder away.

KD said...

I mean, seriously Blue! I know he's an independent guy and all, but he makes me nervous! I mean, he's already had one ER visit this year w/the whole nearly chopping his finger off incident, what's next?

His 6 children now know about the incident, perhaps they can talk him into going to his doctor (who happens to be a family friend). He's the only grandparent I have, I'd like to keep him around a bit longer, preferably all in one piece!

Blue said...

I hope that someone will convince him to go see the Doc, if not, maybe the Doc can see him at home.
Us men are stubborn when it comes to going to the Doc. But at that age, he should go.
Did he tell you how far up the ladder he was when he fell?

KD said...

Um yea, he said he "wasn't that high up". Who knows what that really means. ;) The Christmas lights are only around his outside windows, so he probably wasn't all that high up, but still. Men. :)

Blue said...

Well, I hope that Gramps will be ok. I really hope that he gets checked out though, just to be in the clear.

Jen Estes said...

Men. The older they get, the more stubborn they get. Or maybe it's not a gender thing at all - but age. Last week, I took my 80-year-old gma outlet shopping. It was 20 degrees outside. We walk to her closet so she can get her coat and she looks at her parka and goes, "Hm, I think I'll wear the leather" and pulls out this (very stylin' - my gma rocks) leather jacket-blazer looking thing. I said, "It's pretty cold & windy out, Grandma, and all the stores are outside..." She refuses, putting on the leather jacket. I try again, "Well how about you throw the parka in the back of my car, just in case you need it later?" (Sensible, win/win right?) She gets all huffy, "Well I'm not doing THAT!" So she didn't. And she didn't let me help with her shopping bags. And she insisted we walk the entire mall. And she didn't believe me or the sales clerk that the sweater for her boyfriend was indeed navy and not, as she so vehemently insisted, purple. :D I know how you feel though, you have to tread lightly for fear of being branded a mouthy whippersnapper.

Blue said...

Jen....your Gma has a boyfriend?

KD said...

Blue, my gramps has a girlfriend. I don't like her very much, but still, she's been around for like 13 years. These old folks, I tell ya. Grandpa goes on more dates than I do......wow, that's really sad. :)

Jen Estes said...

Oh Blue, does she ever! She's been on the prowl for about 7 years now, since my gramps passed away 12 years ago. She calls him a "boyfriend" too. It's pretty precious. I also know that they spend the night at each other's houses which um, isn't so precious. I'm glad she has companionship but...ewwwww.

I know, KD. Old peeps are wayyy more social than us too. Mr. Jen's grandparents go out dancing every weekend...whereas a typical weekend for me and their grandson involves sweatpants, Wii bowling and takeout.

Blue said...

KD, has Gramps tried to hook you up on date?.....lol
Jen, "I also know that they spend the night at each other's houses which um, isn't so precious"...too funny....lol