Friday, July 21, 2006

Thank God no one is hurt

Yes, Wednesday night we got the storm from hell here in the STL metro area. I was at work, one of my co-workers had just come from North County and mentioned it was "real ugly" there. No sooner did she say that, that all hell broke loose. Trees were sideways, the sky was part orange, part gray/green. It was freaky, to say the least. I emailed J to see if he was ok down in South City. About two minutes later, he emailed back to let me know that it had just hit there. Well, the power went out at work (which is never a good thing when you are a crisis hotline), so here I was, handing out lanterns and flashlights to people-because you know the phones were still working. So, we took crisis calls in the dark. Our computer guy came in, discovered half the building had power, so he ran a bunch of extension cords and we managed to get three computers up and running. Long night. Once on my way home, the damage was unbelievable. Traffic lights out, trees everywhere. The storm got us good. J told me Granite City got it pretty bad-that made me nervous since his kids are there and all his friends, but everyone is ok! The girls are with us now because they still don't have power at their house. We were lucky, the apartment never lost power. Thank God my sister got an earlier flight in from Chicago-originally she would have been trying to land during all that crap! Now the clean up begins. There are tons of people without power still and tons of trees to clean up. But for the most part, everyone is ok. Let's hope this doesn't happen again for quite some time.....

No comments: