Friday, July 14, 2006

Hank the Tank-AKA 50 Cent

Exactly a year ago, our boy Hank was shot twice in the side. We assume he was out being bad (i.e. chasing cows) and one of the local farmers shot him. I remember little Stubby running up the driveway, she was like Lassie, trying to tell us that something was wrong. I went to the back door to go see her when I saw Hank laying there in a pool of blood (sorry to be so graphic). I, of course, freaked and yelled for mom and dad. He totally didn't look like he was going to make it, he was in shock and could barely move. Stubby was licking him trying to stop the bleeding. We tried desperately to get a hold of a local vet, but reached only answering machines. Dad faced the fact that he was probably gonna have to put Hank out of his misery, a task I'm sure he didn't look forward to. Mom and I took Stubby in the house and cried and cried and cried. We love our Hank! And, this was right after our beloved Spaz died. Dad was going to get Hank onto the scoop-thingy on his tractor to take him out in the woods, but good ol' Hank put up a fight. It was as if he was saying "hell no fool, I ain't gonna die!". In the meantime, one of the vets returned our call. I'm not sure where this guy got his degree, but his response was "if he makes it to the morning, he'll be ok". What? We tried to make him as comfortable as possible and prayed he would make it (just hours later I found out my friend's sister-in-law had been in a horrible car accident-it was NOT a good day!).
Morning came, mom woke me and Tim up and told us to look outside. Well, there was our boy, standing (albeit painfully) with the most pitiful puppy face I have ever seen. Hank is one tough boy! The buckshot may have shot some stupid into him (come on, we all know he isn't the brightest), but he was alive.
Hank is perfectly fine now. True, one of his bullet holes has yet to heal, but otherwise, he is happy and healthy. And he now stays out of that farmer's field....

No comments: