Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Sizing up the NL Central

Folks, real baseball is just a couple of weeks away. Who's excited? As usually, I really only pay attention to the NL Central since that's the division my beloved Cubbies are in. So, what are their chances this year? I'd be lying if I said that hearing about Cards ace Adam Wainwright and now Brewers ace Zack Greinke going on the DL didn't make me a bit happy. Then again, if the Cubs can't beat their foes at their best,  is it as satisfying? The answer is......I don't think we're gonna have to worry about that. I'm not anticipating the Cubbies being all that good. Then again, they have no expectations on them this year. That could prove to work to their advantage. Maybe. So, what are KD's thoughts on the NL Central rankings this year? Let's take a look, shall we? DISCLAIMER: The following is based solely on KD's opinions and are not, in the least, based on fact or actual statistics.


PIRATES: They're adorable, aren't they? While I think they may be a bit improved, they will still hold court in the NL Central basement this year. They will celebrate only when playing the Cubs since, for some reason, the Cubs don't know how to beat the fearsome Pirates.

ASTROS: What happened to this team? It wasn't that long ago that they were an NL Central powerhouse. They won't be good this year and may even fight the Pirates for the basement

REDS: I'm putting them in 4th place this year (yes, the reigning NL Central champs). I'm doing this mostly because I hate them. They have a bunch of punks and thugs on their team and I just can't be down with that. I hope they implode.

CUBS-A 3rd place finish is realistic, I think. Not good, but not as bad as last season. We pick our battles. IF the starting pitching is as good as it's capable of being, they may have a shot at making a run for the title, but that's a fairly big IF. I hope I'm wrong.

CARDINALS-Yes, they will be without their ace and, yes, it is a high probability that Chris Carpenter's arm will fall off at some point this season and yes, it is also true that Lance Berkman as an outfielder is quite possibly the funniest thing I've ever heard of, but let's be honest, they almost always contend. Albert is going to be playing for the contract of his life, so expect monster numbers from him. Second place it is.

BREWERS-this may be crazy, but the Fatties are my pick to win the NL Central. Think about it-last season, they had one of the best offenses in the league, all that was missing was some decent pitching. They got that this season. Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun both "slumped" a bit last season. I doubt that happens again. As much as I want to punch Braun in the face, I think he will probably have a career year. And Prince, like Albert, will be working for a new big contract as he will be a free agent as well. Yes, Greinke will be starting the year on the DL, but that will most likely be short-lived. If he can keep his shiz together, I think this team could be scary.

So, there you have it. Cheeseheads win it. None of it really matters anyway since we all know that the Phillies will be the NL representative in the World Series. So, really, we'll just be watching this summer for the love of the game. Right?

2 comments:

Blue said...

I too believe that the Brewers are going to take the NL Central. And I also believe that the Cards will struggle offensively and will finish in 4th, behind our Cubbies, with the Reds in second. Or the Pirates could just relax, go for it all since they have nothing to lose and win the whole darn thing....lol.

KD said...

hahaha! that's the fun of the pending season, guessing how it will go....and being totally wrong. :)
hope you're feeling better Blue!