Thursday, March 03, 2011

Let's discuss The Fight 2011, shall we?

Oh St. Louis, I should not be surprised by this, by the way you jumped all over the "story" about the two Cubs players getting into an altercation yesterday. I realize focusing on another team helps take away the focus on your own team, you know, the team whose players are dropping like flies daily....but I digress. So, yes, Aramis Ramirez and Carlos "Fattie" Silva got into a bit of a skirmish yesterday. Fattie was pissed because his team behind him had like 47 errors (roughly) in the first inning. He apparently said something in the dugout that Rami took offense to, and Rami said something. Let it be known that not only is he hot, but Rami is not a troublemaker. He says so himself: "I never have that problem in my life, not in the regular season, nowhere, not in Little League," he said. "I never got involved with a teammate like that. It's in the past and we'll move on."  See. Never. Nowhere.

The media here is taking this as a sign that the Cubs are already in self-destruct mode before the season even starts. While this may be true (2012 is their year, dammit!), I prefer to see it in a positive light. It at least shows that THEY CARE. Right? Getting pissed about not playing well at least shows some fire, the 2010 Cubs would have just shrugged it off and not cared about leading both leagues in errors after only four spring training games. Am I right?

Now, I realize that Carlos Silva outweighs me by a good 200 pounds, BUT, I swear, if he harmed even one little tiny hair on Rami's head, I WILL come after him. Be afraid, Fattie, be very afraid. I know how to get to HoHoKam. Just sayin.

I leave you with a quote from Cubs manager Mike Quade, who, I must say, I like more and more with each interview.

"You've got two pissed-off people," Quade said after the 12-5 loss to the Brewers. "It was a brutal first inning with plenty of blame to go around, and people get frustrated. Maybe that's what we freaking need. Maybe we need to get pissed off."







5 comments:

Jen Estes said...

I shouldn't be surprised the STL media is jumping on the story, but I didn't even think the incident was a big enough deal to warrant a blog post. These guys have the "jobs" of 10-year-olds, sometimes they're gonna act like 10-year-olds. End of story.

But if the Cubs are already doomed for 2011, that just means they're going to go after Pujols even more when the season ends. Maybe STL & Co. should worry about that...

KD said...

Right???? I mean, seriously. I did hear someone say that they should put The Octagon in the Cubs clubhouse and let 'em go at it cagefigher style. That could be fun.

Jen Estes said...

As long as there's video footage, I'm game.

KD said...

shirtless video footage.

Jen Estes said...

HEY-O!