Monday, March 14, 2011

Baseball observations and where the heck did this snow come from???

Notice my use of "heck" right there? Yea, ever since I gave up cussing for Lent, I've had to be more mindful of my words. Also, since I decided that for every bad word I say during Lent I'd donate a dollar to my church, the Naughty Word jar is up to $5. All things considered, I'd say that's not bad. Um....Lent is less than a week old, but whatever.

Um.....where did this snow come from, for reals? That was NOT what I was expecting when I awoke this morning. I was fully prepared to have difficulty getting up, since thanks to Daylight Savings Time it is now dark when I get up, but I was not prepared for the hour and 15 minute commute to work....because it was SNOWING. That sooooo was not in the forecast.....was it? And isn't supposed to be like 70 degrees on Thursday? Mother Nature sure is moody!

Although I spent the bulk of the weekend at home as a sickie (this darn cold just will not go away!), I was able to enjoy not one, but TWO Cubs games on TV! Yay! Yes, it's only  Spring Training, but just the sights and sounds of baseball make me happy. During yesterday's game against the Dodgers, I made some observations. Here they are:

-the Dodgers have a lot, I repeat, a LOT of hot players. And this was the split squad, so not even an Andre Ethier sighting...I realize most of those guys will be at AAA, but YOWZA! Made for a fun afternoon of eye candy watching.

-Starlin Castro is a fetus. For real. He's STILL not old enough to legally drink in the US (he will be next week though! March 24 our kiddo turns 21. Holla!). He looks like a 12 year old wearing a grown ups uniform. That said....kid can HIT! His fielding is still suspect, but man what an offensive weekend for him! Two homers on Saturday and more hits yesterday. Love.It.

-Love him or hate him, Carlos Zambrano is one entertaining mo fo. From not knowing what time the game started (did you see him come out to the field still tucking in his shirt?) to throwing off his batting helmet after hitting a double (he said it was too big for his head. Really Z?) to pitching pretty much lights out, Big Z is NEVER boring.

-Jeff Samardzija is terrible. And looks ridiculous w/that pirate-facial hair thing he has going on. And get a frickin haircut already. Long boy hair is soooooo 1997.

-Carlos Marmol was NOT filthy Marm yesterday. Yikes.

-Tyler Colvin looked pretty good at first base yesterday. He botched one play, but made an amazing play later in the game. Plus, there were plenty of booty shots.  Now if he could just cut down on the strikeouts....

-Marques Smith also looks like he's 12. Where do they find these kids?

-I have yet to see my potential new crush, Carlos Pena, play. Stop split-squading it and let me see the goods already!

That is all for now. Less than three weeks before we play for real!

2 comments:

Jen Estes said...

I really love the Cubs, I do. But I have to say this -- their hot factor has really gone downhill in the last couple of years. Getting rid of eye candy like D-Lee, DeRo and T-Bear really hurt and having to look at Shark all spring ain't helping. If they're not going to win a World Series, is it too much to ask that they can at least take first place in a beauty contest?

Holy [$1 in Lent jar], my word verif? Whorecon. (As in nerds go to Comic Con in July, while KD, JJ & Jen head to Whore Con?)

KD said...

hahahahaa..."whore con". That made me laugh out loud. It's oh so appropriate......

Seriously, Shark is NOT attractive and those that think he is are wrong. Without Carlos Pena, Rami, Sexy Sean and Jailbait, this team would SERIOUSLY be lacking in the looks dept. And um, not the most attractive coaching staff either. Just sayin.