Monday, February 08, 2010

Happy Birthday Eve to ME!

Well, I've decided to embrace this whole birthday thing since, well, I have no other choice. That and, I'm fairly certain I look younger and less rough than most 34 year olds, so that's what I'm holding on to. I had a dream about getting carded last night though. What's that all about? Old age anxiety?

So, I managed to make it home to Salem after all this weekend! YAY! Snow be damned! On Friday night, I was in contact with my mom and it wasn't looking good-they got about five inches of snow on top of the snow they already had from last week, so I was pretty bummed, thinking I'd have to spend my birthday weekend all alone. Never fear, however, I got a call from my mother at around 7:45am on Saturday morning (and no, I was NOT awake yet) telling me the roads were clear. After a quick check with the Highway Patrol hotline, I decided to chance it. But first, I had to make a stop at the DMV. Oh yes, my drivers license was about to expire, so, off I went. I go to the ghetto DMV office because there's never anyone there. You can get in and out in about 15 minutes. For reals. I was a bit nervous about the eye test, and anxiously asked the DMV worker lady if I "passed". She just looked at me and said "yes". I DID get her to laugh, however, when I had to do the street sign test. I was rolling right along until I got to the pic of a stop light. I could not for the life of me remember what it was called and totally drew a blank. I was like "it's a, you know....", she started laughing, and I blamed it on the fact that I hadn't had any caffeine yet (true) and she let me pass. I then had a sobering moment when I got my new license and saw when the next expiration date is. It will be the year I turn, GASP.......40. I almost slit my wrists right then and there (totally kidding folks).

After that fun experience at the DMV, I took off for Salem. It's about a two hour drive and let me tell you, it was SO beautiful! Everything but the highway was covered in snow. I even took pics (and if I ever get around to recharging the batteries in my camera, I may post them). I made it to my parents house before noon (BARELY surviving their treacherous driveway). I was immensely happy. I spent Saturday afternoon playing outside in the snow with the dogs-Stubby's legs are so short she could barely walk in the snow, it was pretty funny. They liked sticking their faces in the snow, which was weird. My mom baked me red velvet cupcakes (jealous?) that were FAB, and she made me my favorite dinner (I really just wanted her home made fettuccine but the rest was great too!). We then just hung out, I watched the Blues game with my brother and just relaxed (although yelling at the TV screen during the Blues game was not relaxing. Um....congrats Blackhawks fans?).

On Sunday, I went to church with the fam and then at 2pm we had a Skype date with my sis, bro-in-law and baby niece! I'd never "skyped" before, but it's such fun! I soooo need a web cam. I got to see my little munckin crawl (she continuously crawled away from the camera....) and saw her stand like a big girl. She gave us some cheezy grins in which we could see all her teeth. She tried getting in the dog's water bowl and when her mama moved her away from it, she started crying, but other than that was a happy baby. She looks like such a big girl! Starting to look like a toddler and not a little baby. Makes kinda sad.

I made it back to the STL last night just before halftime of the Super Bowl. I was rooting for the Saints (and actually was wearing black and gold), because, well, why not? They were the underdogs and I'm a sucker for the underdog. Speaking of dogs, did anyone watch the Puppy Bowl last night? Blue, I know you did! OMG, it was SO cute!!!! I have to admit, I got caught up in the 2nd half of the Super Bowl, and that pickoff to put the Saints ahead was freakin awesome. And, yes, when they showed a shot of Drew Brees with tears in his eyes hold his baby son, I teared up. Not gonna lie. It was a cute moment. Anyhoo.....the real question now is, is it baseball season yet????? Pitchers and catchers report next week baby!!!!

8 comments:

Jen Estes said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I made you a card to celebrate the occasion... http://i46.tinypic.com/2vjoffn.png

Big Z's already reported to Spring Training - could this be the year he becomes our leader?

KD said...

Jen, I almost wet myself reading your very special card you sent me. OMG...I for real have tears rolling down my face, and those, my friend, are tears of joy. You sure do know what to get a girl for her birthday! Nudie pics of Steve Stone work every time.....

Um, the fact that Big Z is already at Spring Training scares me a bit. Dude could be a total BEAST this year. Me likey.

Jen Estes said...

Oh, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was sitting here thinking, "Gee, I wish I had some naked pics of Rami to make a great card for her" (or really, for any reason at all). Then I remembered the next best thing - Stoney Pony!

KD said...

I want it noted for the record, however, that I do NOT, in any way, shape or form want to ride the Stony Pony.

Jen Estes said...

Oh, you don't ride the Stony Pony - the Stony Pony rides you!

KD said...

OmG, I was on the phone w/this hospital in Ft. Worth, chit chatting about our case when I read your last post Jen. I started tripping over my words and was totally distracted. LMAO!!!!

Blue said...

It's good to know that you made it to your folks house this weekend. Red velvet cupcakes, never had them, but it reminds me of the red velvet armadillo cake in Steel Magnolias...lol.
I watched the entired Puppy Bowl, that little pug chihuahua mix that got the MVP was the best...lol

KD said...

Ha ha...I totally remember the red velvet armadillo cake! Hilarious!

The Puppy Bowl was so freakin cute! I loved it when they kept sticking their paws in the water bowl... :)