Wednesday, November 04, 2009

KD's review of the new Weezer CD "Raditude"


The album cover alone should entice you to listen to this CD....

Everyone who knows anything about me knows I'm a HUGE Weezer fan. I have been ever since "Buddy Holly" and the Blue Album came out in 1994 (that's 15 years for anyone who's counting). I've even seen them perform in another country, for God's sake (I've seen them live five times total). I have very fond memories of the first two albums (for any Weezer purist, you will agree that Pinkerton is their greatest CD. Maybe one of the greatest CD's EVER by ANYONE, but I digress....), they came out during my college years, and most of my friends dug them too. Those two albums were in constant play. They took a bit of a hiatus after 1996 so that lead singer Rivers Cuomo could finish his degree at Harvard, but came back 2001-ish and have been around ever since.

Raditude is Album #7 and in all fairness, really can't be compared to the previous six. And I'll tell you why. Raditude is a POP album. I'm not saying that's bad, just different. Truth is, after a couple times listening to it all the way through I must say, for the most part, I totally dig it. Sure, there are a couple of songs I could do without, but most of them are fun, catchy and will most certainly get stuck in your head (much like Ricky Martin's "Shake Your Bon Bon"...right Rob???). The first single "If You're Wondering If I Want You To (I Want You To)" is, in a word, FANTASTIC. And if you haven't seen the video, I demand you go to YouTube right this minute and watch it-it is HILARIOUS (in true Weezer fashion).

Many die-hard Weezer fans will probably hate this album. I am not one of them. What you need to remember is, if you know anything about this band, you will know that many of their songs are silly and sarcastic. They don't take themselves too seriously, and you shouldn't either. I mean, on Raditude, they collaborate with Jermaine Dupre and Lil Wayne for God's sake, and that, my friends, is good times right there.

I feel like I am best friends with them because I met them at Sea-Tac airport in Seattle last year-true story. Ok, well, I met half of them-Pat, the drummer and Scott, the bassist. Couldn't have been nicer guys, and were also quite funny. I didn't get a pic to document this momentous occasion of me meeting half of my favoritest band ever (I didn't want to be THAT fan, ya know?), but I will never forget it as long as I live. And, as long as I live, I will most likely love every CD they make, no matter how cheezy.

4 comments:

Blue said...

Hi KD, I think I own one Weezer cd, not sure, I have a big collection and don't remember what I have anymore.
That is cool that you got to met some of the guys in the band. Do you remember the bad The Wallflowers?

KD said...

Heck yea I remember The Wallflowers...Jakob Dylan...he's hot. I always remember hot men. :)

Blue said...

Ok, when I was in the Navy, my last deployment onboard an aircraft carrier, we were coming home after six months at sea. So the Wallflowers came out to the ship to play for us the night before we got to San Diego. Well all that day and part of the night we were working our asses off getting our gear and equipment ready to come home. Lot's of work and stress, so I'm yelling/pissed off about something at my guys as we are coming off the flight deck, F***!, M*F*!, S**T!, you think of it, I said it, so as we turn the corner of the passageway, who is standing there but the Wallflowers. I looked at J. Dylan right in the eye as the curse words continued to come out....lol.....nice intro to Navy life for Mr. Dylan. I wonder what he thought....lol.

KD said...

Ha ha ha! that's some good stuff Blue! :)