Wednesday, March 25, 2009

American Idol Top 10...a bit of a mixed bag

Ok. First of all-it was Motown night. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE myself some Motown music, anytime, anywhere. My momma raised me right-growing up, on Saturday mornings as we cleaned the house, we'd be listening to either Motown music or the Beatles. SUCH good memories (even though to this day I still hate cleaning...at least I still love the music!). And don't anyone say anything bad about Smoky Robinson. He is the man. As is Berry Gordy. Ok, I will say this-he (Smoky) does have some really, really white teeth. But enough about that.....

Before we get into the breakdown of the singers, let me just say this-Paula and Kara both had great hair tonight. But why the F were Paula's eyes so red? I mean, seriously? And she was starting to do the robot voice again (Mikey, you missed it). And what was that comment she made about waiting to see what's up her skirt? Um, Paula, no one wants to know what's up your skirt, mmmm k? I'm just sayin.....but seriously, the best part was when she whipped out coloring books and crayons for Simon, saying he was acting like a child. LOVED it. Actually, wait, the best part was when Simon drew a moustache on Paula. Yes, yes, THAT was definitely the best part of the night.

Ok, on to the critiques by your favorite non-musical expert (me):

MATT-He sang Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On". As my friend Tabitha pointed out, tricky song for a white guy to sing, but Matt seemed to pull it off. I thought he did a great job and finally got up from the piano! Kudos!

KRIS-I am a big fan of this kid. I was a boppin around the living room while he was singing "How Sweet It Is". He's adorable, he's got a great voice and he's totally marketable. I'd buy his CD over Taylor Hicks any day.....

SCOTT-Ok. I'm gonna just put it out there. He's a nice guy-yes. But he gotsta go. I'm sorry (free ticket to hell, anyone?). First of all, he tried to tackle "You Can't Hurry Love"-first mistake; second-he flubbed one of the lines. I mean, some parts of it were good, but some parts of it were a big ol' mess. And the background singers were freaking me the hell out.

MEGAN-hot mess. And quite possibly one of the weirdest things I've ever encountered. And was that dancing or was she have a seizure on the stage? No, I'm seriously asking......As Randy said, that was "mad crazy". And not in a good way.

ANOOP-I know some thought it was slow and boring, but I thought his performance of "Ooooo Baby Baby" was BEAUTIFUL. Dude hit some high notes and I think he did Smoky proud! I'm officially on the Anoop Dogg bandwagon with my friend Julie.

MICHAEL-Ummm.....Ok, first of all "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" is one of the greatest songs ever. And the judges were right-that song is just wayyyyyyy too big for him. He appeared to be trying too hard and it totally didn't work for him at all.

LIL-Yes she can sing the hell out of some songs, but the judges were right with her too-the beginning and middle were kinda all over the place, the end was great. As moved as she was by going to Detroit and seeing the Motown studios, I thought she was gonna kill it. But she didn't.

ADAM-Oh. My. God. He was A-MAZING. Stripped down, acoustic, no black nail polish, hair in a creepy Elvis-esque style, Adam's performance was simple beautiful. Smoky and I both had tears in our eyes....Smoky even gave him a standing ovation! Big kudos right there. In fact, I want to hear it again right now....LOVED IT!

DANNY-Danny Gokey is still amazing and fabulous. I thought his performance of "Get Ready" was fun, he sounded great, I even liked his dorky little dance moves with the background dancers. But he DIDN'T listen to Smoky and sing some of the background stuff like he told him too.....I'm just sayin....

ALLISON-Are you kidding me right now? Are you sure this girl isn't 36 instead of 16? Fan-freakin-tastic tonight. Wow. But seriously, at the beginning of the song, I thought we were listening to the Shaft theme song before I clued in that she was singing "Papa Was A Rolling Stone". And great rockin outfit. True story-I saw a woman in the cafeteria today at work with those same leggings on.

Bottom three SHOULD be: Megan, Scott and Michael.

Who SHOULD go home? Megan. Adios senorita!

No comments: