Monday, April 03, 2006

Part II-The Wedding


Wedding day arrived. We awoke to an absolutely beautiful, sunny day (God took care of us on that one!). We also awoke at 7:30am, but that's a whole other story.....After an ok breakfast in the basement of the Hampton Inn, and an emergency trip to the soda machine for Diet Coke, we were off in our cab/limo AKA mom and dad's mini van, off to the beauty salon for hair and makeup. All of us girls got our hair done, loved the up-do and the 16 gallons of hair spray they put on my head...Red's hair looked gorgeous, and mom (who I've never seen in an up-do) looked absolutely beautiful and way too young to be the mother of the bride (seriously mommy-you did!). Once we were all done, we were picked up by the limo and the first thing we noticed was the champagne. We advised the driver to take us to the Bread Company to pick up some lunch, but the time we travelled the two block trip, we had finished one bottle of champagne. Yea, it was gonna be a long day.....by the way, if you ever wanna draw attention to yourself, take yourself and 6 other people to the Bread Company with your up-do's and one girl with a veil on her head......

We arrived at the church a full 30 minutes ahead of schedule. We were afraid to go in and the Church Nazi (aka the wedding coordinator for the church) specifically said we cannot get in before 1:30. Well I got out of the limo, saw that the church doors were unlocked and smuggled all of us girls in. Church Nazi was nowhere in sight. We all started getting ready and had a bit of a panic moment when Jon's mom called to say she was running late. Not a big deal typically, but she just happened to have my sister's wedding dress with her.....the MOH was on it, trying to keep the bride calm at this point. Anyway, the dress arrived, all was well, and my sister was absolutely beautiful in her dress-I teared up and the wedding hadn't even started. At exactly 3:00 the Church Nazi has us girls line up. I started to get nervous then. What if someone tripped going down the aisle? Or stood in the wrong place? Or walked too fast? As the music started it all became surreal-this was it! My baby sister was getting married!

Once the wedding party was in place, we waited for our bride. I had told myself not to look at Jon because if he cried, I was gonna lose it. Well, as soon as the opened the door and my sister was standing there with dad, I saw just one tear go down Jon's face. That's all I needed. And as soon as I got to see my sister (also crying) walking with dad (trying not to cry), I teared up some more. It was just all so beautiful, hard to explain. I looked out into the crowd, saw a row full of my aunts, all crying. We are a crying people, apparently. The ceremony itself went smoothly, although there was some chuckling later about the sermon as, apparently, we are ALL responsible for their marriage...who knew? And, for the record, the vents were still on...Julie (bridesmaid) and I had our dresses blowing up, I was afraid I was gonna pull a Marilyn Monroe, but luckily, it didn't blow up that high. Julie and I just stood there and giggled. It was very exciting and strange when the pastor had my sister and Jon turn around and introduced the married couple. What? My sister is married now! Wow. After picture taking in the church (loved the whole Baumgartner/Davidson clan pic-where did all those relatives come from? We are one huge family!), it was on to.................THE PARTY BUS!!!! That will be part 3......

No comments: