Monday, March 22, 2010

Spring has not sprung

WTF is up with this weather? I mean, for reals? It was sunny and 70 on Friday and I was rockin the hot pink toenails and flip flops....fast forward to Saturday and it's barely in the 40's, and windy and rainy. Ick. Today is more of the same although it is reported that the rain is outta here and leaving behind temps in the mid-50's. I can get on board with that, but I'd much prefer Friday's weather....

So...has everyone filled out their brackets for the NCAA tournament? I did and even took Friday off so I could sit in a bar and watch basketball for TWELVE hours. Not kidding. Yikes. The main reason I love March Madness is because it means the start of the baseball season is right around the corner. That, and I kick ass guessing on my brackets. In fact, good 'ol KD went 25 and 7 in the first round. That's some good guessing. My strategy was a complex one-a combination of picking Missouri because I'm a homer, picking Tennessee teams because that's the contract I manage at work (damn you Vanderbilt! You screwed up my bracket in the first round!) and picking teams based solely on the fact that I'd heard of them and not their opponent. Good system, huh? The second round I did not fare as well as the first, going only 9 and 7, BUT I was MORE than happy to have KU screw up my brackets-I had them going to the finals but LOVED the fact that they lost in the second round. Rock chalk THAT you stupid a-holes.

Despite the weather, I had a great weekend. I mentioned Friday's activities....Saturday I got to spend the entire day with my sister (she was in town to tour day care centers for my niece and officially started her new job here today)-as you all know, she and her family are moving back to the STL, what you don't know is that they're moving....NEXT WEEKEND!!!!! Yep, Easter weekend my beloved sis, bro-in-law and niece will officially be STL residents. I am SO excited! Especially when I think about how much fun my sis and I had on Saturday-we spent the day shopping and both of us spent our money on miss Kendall. I mean, duh. Not only is her 1st birthday in a couple of weeks, but also, well, we love to spoil her. And she's cute. And a girl needs new clothes. We also had a lovely dinner with my brother-in-law's sister on Saturday night (FYI, an hour and a half wait for a table can be made better by pre-dinner drinks at the bar. Just sayin.). Yesterday, I got to see my baby bro for a bit-he and his friend Travis were heading to Miami and needed a ride to the airport....you're welcome boys. After I dropped them off (and only got kinda lost leaving the airport), I headed to Grandpa's where I spent the entire afternoon with him and my sister watching Mizzou lose....then we took gramps to dinner. I was bracing myself for either Bob Evans or IHOP but Gramps opted for Steak and Shake where he harrassed our waitress-he reminded her he needed an adequate number of crackers for his chili not the usual "two packages you guys usually give". Our girl was good and she brought gramps about 10 packages of crackers. She asked him if that was enough and he said "I'll let you know". Gramps did NOT eat all those crackers, by the way. So, I guess it was enough.

Today at work is a day straight from HELL. Eighteen cases (a "full" caseload for a day is 12.....you get the picture of how sucky 18 is), half my team off and my boss off all week. Awesome. I've decided I don't really give a crap-my contract is shifting to our Atlanta office on April 1, which is next week. I broke the news to my favorite staffperson today that I would no longer be his reviewer and I swear he was about to cry. Yea, he and I had our ups and downs (I HATED him when we first got this contract, in fact, I think I may have called him Captain Dipshit once or twice, but I ended up loving him and sorta having an over-the-phone crush), but in the end, he was my favorite contact in all of TN. Now I have to win over a whole new freakin state. More on that in the next paragraph....

So, it was finally decided who would get what new contract come next week. Who is KD managing? Oh yes, get your cheese curds and Packers t-shirts ready because this girl is now the face of Wisconsin. HOLLA! I'm prepared to deal with sausage lovin (Brewers fans), cheese head wearin (Packer's fans and, well, prolly most of the rest of the state), wine drinkin (shout out to Door County!), cheese curd eatin folks. We hear they are "heavy utilizers" which, in laymans terms means the fine folks of Wisconsin utilize their mental health and substance abuse benefits often. Yay for me. Kill me now. My buddy JJ is from Wisconsin I believe and I am fully prepared for her to be the only person in that state I like. JJ, hope you don't have United Healthcare insurance and plan on using your mental health/substance abuse benefits any time soon..... ;)

10 comments:

Blue said...

Hi KD, you did much better than I in the first round, I was 21-11, however, I did pick three of the upsets. But my second round is all messed up. I don't noramlly follow basketball, but I do follow it when it gets to March Madness.
No rain or snow here, just plenty of sunshine, no pink toe nails for me, but I was wearing flip flops this weekend....lol.
So, have you found the perfect Easter basket for Miss Kendall or is that still on the to do list?...lol
You crack me up with your description of the folks in Wisconsin...lol, hey, you might get a call from Prince or Braun, so standby....lol

KD said...

you know Blue, I hate to sterotype an entire state, but let's be honest, we've all seen Brewers fans......and I suspect they represent the vast majority. Not that I can talk, I mean have you seen some of the hoosiers we have living here in Missouri??? :)

Miss Kendall is still in need of an Easter basket-I'm leaving that to her mommy...although I saw a cute one in the shape of Dora the Explorer's head. Kendall LOVES Dora....although a giant Dora head filled w/candy may frighten the poor kid.....

Blue said...

I've never been to Wisconsin, but yeah from what the fine folks over at WGN have shown us, your description is right on....lol.
I have also never been to Missouri, but there are alot of folks from there on People of WalMart, so that is all I have to go on, that and the Cards games on tv that I watch when they play our Cubbies.

KD said...

People of Wal-Mart is an eerily accurate portrayal of my fine state.....sadly.

J.J. said...

I am not offended by your description of Cheeseheads, because sadly, it's true. First of all, let me say I was not born in Wisconsin, I am a transplant. (born in Ohio, lived in IL for a number of years before crossing the cheddar curtain)The best thing about my fair state is a) Kohls Department Stores and b) Door county. I go on a biking and wine trip there every year. So, um, yeah, I can see why CH's are heavy users, Wisconsin is both Wine country and Miller country!

KD said...

I myself enjoyed Door County when I was there...that's where we encountered the corn maize shaped like Brett Favre. That was some good times. And the bottle of wine I had that night was superb. :)

Blue said...

What is Door County?

Jen Estes said...

KD, screw HIPAA and confidentiality - if you get a call from Prince Fielder or Ryan Braun, I want to know about it!

KD said...

@Jen-HIPAA Schmipaa, I'd TOTALLY breach confidentiality and put my license on the line to report that news! I wonder if MLB players have United Healthcare insurance....hmmmm
@Blue-Door County is actually quite lovely-it's near Green Bay, WI. I believe it's called the "Cape Cod of the Midwest"...is that right JJ?

Blue said...

KD, I'm with Jen on letting us know if PF or RB call you.