Wednesday, March 03, 2010

American Idol 2010...Top 10 girls

I was hoping to be wowed tonight and I was....but not until the last singer. More on that in a bit. First, my random observations for the night.

Can we first talk about Randy's Mr. Rogers cardigan? I felt like I was about to go to the Land of Make Believe to hang out with Henrietta Pussycat and that creepy king puppet. Won't you be my neighbor? Wait, where was I going with that? Sorry....got sidetracked. Oh, and when he said the "guys brought it" last night. Um, was he watching the same show? I mean seriously? And what was up with Kara's hair? It looked like she bought some hair extensions from Wal-Mart and stuck them in her ponytail. For reals. And did anyone notice Big Mike wearing a man scarf? Only gays and, well, Big Mike can pull off that look.

Ok, on to the performances:

1. Crystal Bowersox-back from her mystery illness (really, they're being quite mysterious about it, aren't they?), Crystal did some CCR song I've never heard of (CCR is more my parents gig, y'all), but it didn't matter. She was FANTASTIC. I do have a question however, and I don't know how to say this delicately, so I'll just say it-is she missing a tooth? Moving on....Simon used the word "misunderestimated". That's a lot of letters. Are we sure that's a real word?

2. Haeley Vaughn-Oh poor Haeley. You're going home this week, sweetheart. She sang The Climb by Miley Cyrus and while she sang it better than Miley (you know, because Miley can't sing), it still wasn't good. And, I'm sorry, but I just cannot get past the lisp. Simon called it a "complete and utter mess" and, well, he's right. I will say, however, that for the duration of the show I had that effin' song in my head. Thanks for that kid.

3. Lacey Brown-why is it that every time they introduce her, they always say "Texas native, Lacey Brown"? Is that her full name or something? Should I start going by "Missouri native, Kerri Davidson". Would that clarify things for y'all? Just wondering. Anyway, on to her singing, she did Kiss Me by Sixpence None The Richer. She sang it well and it was a million times better than last week, but it was still very karaoke-esque. And, I'm pretty sure my mom wore her dress back in 1986. Does anyone else think it's weird that the '80's are "back", or is it just me?

4. Katie Stevens-something about this kid just annoys the crap out of me. I can't quite put my finger on it. Oh wait, yes I can-it's the cheesy looks she makes when the camera is on her. Reminicent of Constantine...remember him? She sang Corinne Bailey Rae's "Put Your Records On" and, while she has a good voice, I was just bored with the whole thing to be quite honest. That being said, I'm sure she'll be around for awhile.

5. Didi Benami-ok, I didn't think she was as horrible as the judges said she was. I was still stuck on the meowing, so I wasn't really able to focus much on the song, but from what I recall, it wasn't horrible. But seriously, girlfriend, get a grip! You have got to stop with the waterworks. This is coming from a fellow cry baby. GET.IT.TOGETHER.

6. Michele Delamor-very brave to take on the great Scott Stapp and Creed (and by "great" I mean "total douchebag"), she has a great voice and her hair is awesome, it was all over the place, but still, she's marketable and won't be going anywhere anytime soon. For the record, I now have that Corinne Bailey Rae song in my head.

7. Lilly Scott-She sang Change is Gonna Come by Sam Cooke. Amazing. I dig her. Even if she is a bit mannish. Don't lie, you were thinking it.

8. Katelyn Epperly-for the record, I think Coldplay is as craptastic as say, Nickelback, so I typically would not even care to listen to someone cover one of their songs, but, I gotta say, she did great with The Scientist. I don't know what being a scientist has to do with what appears to be a breakup song, but whatever. I really liked this performance, the judges thought it was too slow, but I thought her voice was beautiful. I loved it, actually.

9. Paige Miles-I keep forgetting about her. Yes, she has a great voice, but the judges are right, her song choices just aren't working. And, really, I think it's probably not a good idea to sing a song that Kara co-wrote. I mean, she's totally gonna pick you apart. And let me just say this, does anyone else think Paige looks like K Fed's first baby momma? Or is it just me?

10. Siobhan Magnus. I have two words for her performance of Think by Aretha Franklin and those two words are this: LOVED IT. Wow. That note at the end was beyond mind blowing. Yes, Siobhan is strange as hell but damn can that skinny white girl sing! My favorite of the night by far.

So, I think Siobhan, Crystal, Lilly and Katelyn were the best of the night.

Two have to go home tomorrow. My money is on Haeley and Lacey. They both should have gone last week, in my opinion.

I really hope this show gets better because, seriously, this is the least excited I've been about AI in a long time.

This concludes tonight's rant. I bid you all adieu. Til next week.

KD out.

1 comment:

Blue said...

Hey KD, well I watched AI last night. I still think that the ladies are better than the men.
Crystal B. was awesome,one of my favorite CCR songs. As for the tooth, well I saw two missing teeth, one on each upper side. So maybe she had a tooth extracted because I know she was missing one before Hollywood.
Siobhan Magnus kicked ass and that last note was awesome. I have to say though that I would be afraid to be alone in a room with her, she has somewhat of a crazed look in her eyes....just sayin'...lol, but she is one of my faves.
Haeley and Didi I think will go home tonight.