Tuesday, March 02, 2010

American Idol 2010...Top 10 guys

Back by popular demand (ok, like ONE person requested this, but whatever) is my weekly write-up of my take on the American Idol performances. Now, I am by no means a music expert. In fact, I couldn't sing my way out of a paper bag, but, I DO have opinions. Lots of them in fact. And I will make them known now.

Let's address the judges and host first, shall we? Is it just me or has Seacrest had some work done? He looked "surprised" all night. Just sayin. And what the F was Kara doing prior to the show? Her hair looked like she got caught in a wind tunnel. And for reals, could Simon's shirt be unbuttoned any more? And why is he so red? Is it a spray tan gone awry? I don't get it. I don't really have anything snarky to say about Randy or Ellen....yet. I'm sure their time will come.
Ok, so here's my take on the Top 10 guys:

1. Big Mike-Ok, first of all, loved it when he said he could bench press 4 or 5 Ryan Seacrests. That made me giggle. Big Mike is adorable, ok? He sang James Brown's "This Is A Man's World" and I thought he was FAN-DAMN-TASTIC. Loved it. My fave of the night. Holla!

2. John Park-um, I want to cut his hair. Seriously. Know how he said English is his second language? Here's a suggestion pal-perhaps you'll find more singing success if you start singing in Korean. Just sayin. He sang "Gravity" by John Mayer and, although John Mayer is the biggest douchebag on Earth, I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate this guy butchering his song. This guy isn't even good enough to be cruise ship material. A star at your local karaoke bar on a Friday night maybe. And seriously, dude, it's not like it's prom or anything but could you wear more than just a plain white t-shirt? John Park is goin home this week my friends.

3. Casey James-Yes, I have a giant crush on him. He's hot. So he didn't totally rock Gavin DeGraw's "I Don't Wanna Be". Who cares? He's pretty, sassy and other than tonight's performance, has sung really well. His guitar playing kicked ass though. Me likey.

4. Alex Lambert-not gonna lie, at first, that mullet made me want to punch him in the face. That, and he really sucked last week. But....to my pleasant surprise, the mullet is growing on me and he sang John Legend's "Everybody Knows" really well. And his shyness is kinda cute. In a mullet-y sort of way. I love that Ellen loves the mullet.

5. Todrick Hall-he sang Tina Turner's "What's Love Got to do with it". Dude...some songs you just don't F with, this is one of them. He sang good in parts, but the judges were right, he's trying too hard. I do think he's funny and cute however....and marketable. He'd be great at Disney World. Just sayin.

6. Jermaine Sellers-worst one of the night ( besides John Park), he sang "What's Goin On" by Marvin Gaye. It was just a hot mess. Blech. In fact, part of the performance I don't even remember. I may have blacked out for a bit, I'm not sure. And what the F was up with the scatting? You sir are NOT Ella Fitzgerald. Get off the stage. I can't decide if he's funny or obnoxious, but I'm leaning more toward obnoxious. I DID, however, like his footie pajamas.

7. Andrew Garcia-I'm sorry, but I have no idea why he was the early favorite-I think he kinda sucks. Tonight he sang "You Give Me Something" by James Morrison. I was just waiting for it to end. Next.

8. Aaron Kelley-how cute is he??? Just 16 years old, he's adorable and if he wasn't already adopted I'd file the papers to adopt him myself. And for a little scrawny thing, dude can sing!!! Not sure where those pipes come from, but I like it. I thought his version of "My Girl" was good. Simon didn't like it, but I did. So there.

9. Tim Urban-not gonna lie, I totally didn't even remember him. I was like "was that dude even on last week?"....and then I saw the clip from last week's performance and it all came flooding back. Clearly I'd blocked out that horrible performance. This week, in all his David Cassidy/Partridge Family glory, he redeemed himself. He sang "Come On Get Higher" by Matt Nathanson which is one of my favorite songs. Good song choice for him, sounded a bit karaoke-esque, but way better than last week. Teenage girls will vote for him for sure.

10. Lee Dewyze-Confession time. During the tryouts and stuff, I thought he was a total d-bag. For reals. I am happy to say I am taking that back-I dig this guy! And....I may have a crush on him. Having pretty boys on this show makes me more apt to watch it. Just sayin. So, he sang "Lips Of An Angel" by Hinder which, by the way, is a terrible song, but, he sounded GREAT. He definitely rocks, I'm kinda diggin the bad boy/rock thing from him. Simon said he's the best of the guys. He's definitely Top 3.

So....here's the deal, I don't know how many get the boot on Thursday but here's who should go: John Park and Jermaine Sellers.

Big Mike, Lee and Aaron were the best. We'll see how the girls do tomorrow night.
This ends installment #1, KD out.

P.S. spellcheck didn't recognize "douchebag" as a word. That disappoints me.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

kerri- thanks for the update. i had to work tonight so i am behind the times..(i think "douchebag" is two words) glad for you that the fam is coming back to stl!! aunt mary

KD said...

Hmmm...maybe it IS two separate words....thanks Aunt Mary!

Stay tuned...tonight is my critique on the girls! They were less than impressive last week, so we shall see how they do tonight...

Blue said...

I watched AI last night, I was not too impressed with the singing, Big Mike, Lee D., Lambert and Kelly were the best. For sure Hall, Sellers and Park have to go, hopefully tonight two of them will. Can't wait to read the girls write up.

KD said...

You are right on Blue! As a whole the guys did better than they did last week though. Still, no one is really "wowing" me yet, ya know? there's no david cook or adam lambert in the group....yet.

Blue said...

I agree, none of them really stand out, I think that my dark horse pick is Lee D. though, but I think this year the girls are far better than the guys, so we shall see what happens tonight.