Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Mama needs a new pair of shoes

My body informed me last night that I need a new pair of running shoes. I've actually known for quite some time that I need new shoes, but kept putting it off because of the expense (it pains me to have to spend $100 on freakin shoes). However, now that I'm facing possible injury, I can wait no more.

I was a bit excited for the opportunity to jog outside last night. The weather is starting to get nicer and I'm tired of being cooped up in the gym. So, after I got home from work yesterday, I decided to hit the pavement for a quick jog (I say quick because I had precious little time between when I got home and when Dancing With The Stars premiered-see post below for deets on that. I clearly have my priorities in place.). Well, the jog quickly went downhill (not literally) as a sharp, shooting pain ran through my left ankle. I couldn't recall actually injuring it (which wouldn't be a far stretch considering what a klutz I am), so I was perplexed as to why it was hurting. Silly me, I decided to run through the pain....eventually it waned into just my toes going numb, so I figured I could tough it out. I managed to jog about 2.5 miles before calling it a day. When I got back home and took my shoes off (after properly stretching, dontcha know), my ankle swelled to the size of a small grapefruit. Um.....not good. It's not swollen now, but continues to throb. I know what I must do-I can no longer put it off. I HAVE to buy new shoes, and really need to do it tonight since I plan to hit the gym again tomorrow. Ugh. I am SO not a shoe girl. But, I don't want to buy just any pair of running shoes-you have to be smart about these things-this is one thing you really can't cut corners on. So, I'm thinking about these:

This is the Nike Zoom Vomero +4. Sounds really fancy, but from what I've read, comes highly recommended. They're pretty cute, but I also like them because they're reported to be comfy and "cushy", something I'm sorely lacking. I'm hoping with some new shoes I'll no longer get blisters on my feet (gross, I know). Now I just need to find them. Oh, and apparently Nike runs about a half a size small so maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to buy a big girl size, say in a 6.5? My midget feet I SWEAR have grown from a 5.5 to a 6 (kinda like my ass, but whatever) because several of my shoes are now too small. Maybe they're just fatter. I'm not sure (I kid, I kid. I have not gained even an ounce, thank you very much. That could change on Easter Sunday when I'm allowed to eat candy again, but for now, no change). I really hope I don't have to go to a mall to get these shoes. I hate the mall. I'm gonna hit up Sports Authority first. Hope they have what I need.

Happy spending!

10 comments:

Blue said...

Hey KD, I always get a half size larger running shoe than what I normally wear. When we run our feet flatten out some and do swell up a bit, so having that .5 helps to keep the feet comfy. Also, make sure that your toe nails are trimmed, they can make running uncomfortable as well. I'm not a fan of Nike shoes, but those look pretty nice....ASICS all the way baby!!!!.....lol

KD said...

good call Blue! I think the toenails are adequately trimmed at this time. :)
Asics are pricy, aren't they? Well, hell, they ALL are, so what's a few more bucks when you're spending over $100. It's painful. I think Sports Authority is my best bet over places like Supermarket of Shoes or Shoe Carnival. I may have to go to the mall, but I sure hope not.

Blue said...

I like Sports Authority, they have a good selection of running shoes. I love ASICS, I have never been let down by their shoes. All brands have their affordables and their not so affordables. I usually get a shoe that is around $75 or up. Check to see if they have a clearance area with last years models, you may find a good score there.
Here is one thing I do when I look for a shoe. I always hold it from the toe, with the heel away from me. That way you can feel the weight of the shoe. You don't want to be running with a heavy shoe. Give it a try and you'll see the weight difference between shoes.

KD said...

Thanks for the advice Blue!

Hey, did I ever tell you I have a friend who grew up where you are? Career Navy family...last name of Zerr.

Blue said...

No prolem.
You never told me that, where are they from exactly?
Hey the Cubbies are on MLB today, in about an hour.

KD said...

they're from Lemoore...is there a base there? She talks about it all the time, misses it. I guess living in St. Louis isn't nearly as cool. ;)

Wish I could follow the Cubbies today...but will be here at work till 5:30 CST. Blah.

Blue said...

What? No way....lmao, that is where I live. What does she miss about this place besides, the fog, the smell of cow poop in the mornings, the allergies, the heat, the water....lol

KD said...

LOL. I'm not sure what she misses...I'll be sure to ask her next time I see her. :) I mean, she can get all of those things here. :)

Blue said...

lol....Tell her to pretend that she is in Lemoore.

KD said...

Ha! I will!