Friday, April 15, 2011

Remembering Alyssa

It's hard to believe an entire year has gone by.

One year ago today, my brother-in-law's beautiful 26 year old sister Alyssa, passed away. She was Kendall's only other auntie.

The last few times I was around her, we had such a good time. Two of those times were babysitting our then infant niece. One of the things that makes me saddest is that she hasn't been here for this last year to see how much our Kendall has grown-to see what an amazing, smart, funny, beautiful kiddo she's become. And I hate thinking about the fact that she won't be here to meet our nephew and get to watch the both of them grow up. I struggle with feeling guilty because I get to do those things-I know it's irrational, but nonetheless, it's how I feel.

You sometimes don't realize the impact someone has on your life or the world....until they're gone. Alyssa, for better or worse, left a giant hole when she left us. Last Friday as we all gathered to celebrate Kendall's 2nd birthday, we were all acutely aware that one key member of our combined family was missing. That sucked.

I like to think that she is Kendall's (and 2.0's) guardian angel. She watches over her from above, and I do it from here.

Alyssa, I'd give my right arm to have you back with us. We all truly, truly miss you so much. You're gone, but never, EVER, forgotten.

No comments: