Monday, April 25, 2011

The aftermath

What should have been a peaceful Easter weekend was anything but here in St. Louis. As the world knows by now, an F4 tornado (the 2nd worst possible, winds 166-200 miles per hour), hit St. Louis Friday night, leveling whole neighborhoods, and shutting down highways and our airport. It was devastating. And now, the clean up begins. On Saturday, as my parents and I headed back to my grandpa's house, we had to go on 270 and saw firsthand the path the tornado took-a whole section of trees cut in half, someone's shed lying on the side of the highway, mangled, fences down, roofs on houses missing. How no one was killed I'll never know. It really, truly was a miracle, there's no other explanation for it. I'm so thankful that no one I know lost anything during this horrible storm. I'm still a little freaked out at the knowledge that I was in between two of the tornado touchdown points on Friday night.

Here's a couple of pics I found to display just how devastating this storm was:
Both of these pics are at Lambert Airport. It's back to about 90% functioning today, but hard to imagine that even being possible by looking at these pics. Please pray for us as we have the potential for more tornado producing storms today.

No comments: