Monday, February 28, 2011

Tornadoquakes, oh my!

Mother Nature was being a b**ch last night. I mean, was in necessary to send not one but TWO natural disasters last night? I mean, seriously lady!

So, around 11pm last night the tornado siren started going off. What's more concerning is that I refused to get out of bed....until The Voice started talking. Yes, the City of St. Louis' tornado siren talks. It's this male monotone voice that says "this is a tornado warning, please seek shelter immediately". Instead of seeking shelter immediately, I went over to the big picture window to look outside and see if I could see Dorothy and/or Toto. I did not. I then went back to bed. I mean, nothing to see right? That's when I swore I felt my bed move. It was later confirmed there was an earthquake right around that time in Northern Arkansas. WTH man?
When the sirens started getting louder and the rain was blowing sideways, I decided it might be a good idea to go ahead and go down to the basement. One of my neighbors joined me. First time ever meeting him. It was a bit awkward, both of us in our jammies, in the basement, on a Sunday night. That, and he barely spoke English, but whatevs. We stayed down there until the rain stopped.

After all that fun, I was WAY too keyed up to sleep. Good thing I was off work today (waiting for the cable guy). I didn't fall asleep until 2-ish.

Next time Mother Nature comes to visit, I'd like to politely request only one natural disaster at a time. K? Thanks.

3 comments:

Jen Estes said...

I missed out on the quake! The earthquake we had a couple years ago here was also in the middle of the night. Mr. Jen and I woke up to rattling and both ran for the basement (and proving what a horrible mother I will be, I saved myself and left Wrigley on the bed until Mr. Jen said something) until we realized halfway down the stairs that it wasn't a tornado.

Earthquakes are creepy. And I'm totally freaked out about the horror projections of the New Madrid Fault, that will apparently, kill us all. For those of you keep score at home:

California: Sun, ocean, mountains, weather, earthquakes.

Midwest: Humidity, mosquitoes, corn, blizzards, earthquakes, tornadoes.

We got screwed.

Blue said...

First Snowmaggedon, now Tornadoquakes, sounds like a SyFy channel movie. Who can forget Mansquito, my favorite...lol.
Did you happen to grab any emergency rations on the way down to the basement?...lol. Like cookies, candy, beer?...lol

KD said...

No rations Blue, I clearly didn't think this thing through!

Yes Jen, the New Madrid fault WILL KILL US ALL. Good thing the world is ending next year anyway.....