Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Exciting news (watch me make this all about me...)

Given the most excellent job I've done in my role of Auntie, God has seen it fit for me to do it again. Yes, folks, MY SIS IS PREGNANT! Woot woot! We are so excited about 2.0! The job of Auntie has BY FAR been my most favoritest job EVER and I must say, I am pretty damn good at it. Of course, it helps that miss K is so freakin awesome, she makes being an awesome Auntie pretty easy. We're not sure how K feels about being a big sister, but she does like to show you IN PUBLIC, where mommy's baby is. K will be about 2 and a half when the baby is born-just about the same age difference between me and my sister. It's still too early to know the gender of the baby (my sis is 13.5 weeks currently, baby is due August 22), but my gut tells me it's a boy. I don't know why, but that's what I'm going with. Either way, I'm excited. And terrified (back to making it about me). Babysitting K is pretty easy for the most part, she does what you tell her to do (most of the time), takes a bath like she's supposed to and goes to bed when she's supposed to. It's a pretty easy gig. But the thought of Aunt Kewwwi (as K calls me) watching TWO little munchkins? Well, it's daunting at best. We all know what a spaz I am. I will say that this pregnancy excites me because my sis is actually here in St. Louis this time. We can be around her during the pregnancy and will get to be around when the baby is born-something we didn't get to do with K because they were in Texas then-so that makes me happy.

I will vent for one second. Nothing irritates me more than when people say "if you love your niece so much maybe you should have a baby of your own". Actually that statement makes me angry. Just  because I love my niece more than life itself doesn't mean that I need to be a parent. Those that make those blanket statements may mean well, but they need to think before they speak. Has it ever occurred to anyone that maybe I don't want children? That my life is plenty full without "having a child of my own". And hello folks, I'm 35 and single. And I work two jobs. Does having a baby really sound like a feasable option at this current moment in time? I hate that getting married and having childen is what defines you. I am so much more than that. I wish people would believe me when I say that I'm happy with my life the way it is. Would I like to get married? Sure, if that's part of the plan God has for me. Would I like to have kids? Again, sure, IF that's part of my life's plan. I'm not so sure it is. And I have to be ok with that. I'm grateful for what I have. And besides, I'm wayyyyyyy set in my ways at this point. And I'm a giant pain in the ass. ;)

So, when I say that I love being an aunt, trust that I LOVE BEING AN AUNT. K is the greatest kid in the world and I have no doubt that 2.0 will be as well. I love nothing more than spending time with K and jump at every opportunity to babysit her or spend time with her (like this Saturday!). I love that perhaps I will help shape the person K will become. I hope that she and I will always be close like I am with my aunts. I can't wait to bond with 2.0 and am so excited about his/her pending arrival!

6 comments:

kristy said...

You are one hell of an aunt. And trust me, being a parent is NOT for eveyrone. Thanks for watching Miss Kendall on saturday while we attempt to find our next money pit, ahem, I mean house.

KD said...

Thanks Sis! That means a lot to know that you guys think I'm doing alright in fulfilling my auntly duties. :)
It helps that you have such an awesome kid. ;)

Blue said...

Hey you, Congratulations to your sister and brother-in-law on 2.0 as you put it...lol. That is so very cool. I know that you will do well as an Aunt again, no worries there my friend.

Jen Estes said...

Congratulations, Aunt KD! Um..."if you love your niece so much maybe you should have a baby of your own" -- do people actually say that???!

luvrob said...

people are such assholes, really. Not that I really need to say this. AUNTIES rock. I am pretty sure you can have a deep and meaningful relationship with people you did NOT grow in your own uterus. just sayin.

KD said...

JEN! You're alive! Blue and I were wondering. :) And, yes, someone did say that exact sentence to me on my Facebook page a couple of weeks ago. I didn't respond b/c I was too mad. It's best to not act a fool on FB for the whole world to see.....
Rob...you are hilarious and that is why I love you most. :)