Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Dear Cliff Lee

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for not selling out and becoming a Yankee. Granted, some call the Phillies the Yankees of the NL (according to Jason Stark this morning on Mike and Mike In The Morning), but still, they're NOT the Yankees.

For the last few years, the Phillies have been my alternate team (it all started with my love for all things Chase Utley), so I am obviously stoked about this decision. Of course, this means the Yanks and more likely the Rangers will be going after Matt Garza, meaning my precious Cubbies won't be getting him. Garza was a pipe dream anyway.

The Phillies starting rotation can be summed up in one word: FRIGHTENING. Granted, there are a couple of NL teams that have fantastic rotations, but Cliff Lee AND Roy Halladay? Are you kidding me? The 2011 season is gonna be a good one.

As for my precious NL Central, veeeeery interesting indeed. With the "stellar" moves the Cardinals have made (getting rid of a great defensive SS for, well, Ryan Theriot and planning on putting 107 year old Lance Berkmann in the outfield) this off season, I anticipate a 4th place finish for them. Seriously. I see the Reds winning the division again...the Cubbies could, in theory, finish 2nd, but most likely won't. Then again, given the only other options are the Brewers, Astros and Pirates, I suppose it is a possibility. I'm not sure, depends on whether or not the Cubs kids can pull a Tampa Bay Rays and actually be good with a bunch of nobodys. We shall see.

Yes, it's only December, but I'm starting to get excited for baseball again. :)

No comments: