Monday, August 23, 2010

Tyler Colvin is your new first baseman, Cubs fans. Brilliant idea or disaster waiting to happen? You make the call.

Those of you that read this blog know that I LOVE Tyler Colvin. And not just because he's a hot little thang (I'm proud of my cougar status, thank you very much!) but because I truly believe he is going to be a major star in Major League Baseball. He will.

So, it pains me to say that I have mixed feelings about the Cubs trying to turn him into a first baseman. This season is a wash, so you may as well experiment and see what might work for next season, right? Colvin has not played first base since his sophomore year of college...that sounds like it may have been a lot time ago but think about it, you're what, 20 during your sophomore year? Well, Colvin is only 24 now, so perhaps it'll be like riding a bike? The good news is, he takes his job very seriously. He's out there practicing and working hard to make himself a major league caliber player. He has his old glove from college (how cute is that?). He says he's ready to go today. I believe him.

I just hope that this isn't a mistake on the Cubs part (they've made many, as we all know). He was a more than adequate outfielder and was just starting to get comfortable out there. Now you're putting him in a totally different position that requires a totally different mindset. The good news is, at 6'4", he's only slightly shorter than D Lee, who was infamous for saving many an errant throw solely because of his height. True story.

I truly hope this is a Cubs experiment that works. Not only for young Mr. Colvin and the Cubs but for us female fans. As I pointed out on Cubblogging last week, if Tyler Colvin becomes the first baseman, just think of all the ass shots ladies!!! You're welcome.

2 comments:

Blue said...

This is news to me, it's been awhile since I last watched a Cubs game.
I think he'll do well at first, I hope it's not something permanent and that the team picks up a 1st baseman in the off season. I think Lance Berkman will be available once the Yankees dump him.

KD said...

turns out they didn't have him play 1st last night. Apparently it's now Quade's show and he's doing things his way...I like it!

A big no to Berkman. He's old. And has five chins. :)