Monday, August 23, 2010

Thanks for the memories, Sweet Lou!




Yesterday, after that horrendous game, Cubs manager Lou Piniella officially retired from the game of baseball. A game in which he was involved either as a player, manager or announcer for nearly 50 years. It's been real, Lou. Now, Lou was gonna retire at the end of the season anyway as we all know, however, his departure was sped up by the ailing health of his mother (who must be pretty old given Lou is 66 and all). I wish Mama Piniella the best and am actually kinda misty-eyed that no matter how old you are, you still want to take care of your mama when she needs you.

Watching the beginning of the game when Lou shook hands with Bobby Cox (also retiring at the end of the season) and when he waved to the crowd, I did indeed get teary-eyed. The end of an era. I realized then how much I'll miss Sweet Lou. Sure, I've had my moments where I blamed my Cubs woes on him and his lack of caring. Now I see that that "lack of caring" was more than likely worry about things outside of baseball. Can't fault a man for that.

God only knows who the next Cubs manager will be or as I like to call him, then next Poor Bastard who "gets" to manage this team. Whomever it is will have their work cut out for them, that's for sure.

Happy Retirement Lou. I wish you well. Don't be a stranger. Peace.

No comments: