Tuesday, June 29, 2010

This Cubs fan is DONE

As a Cubs fan, you face many highs and lows (mostly lows). It's part of the deal. We know this. But just when you think the Cubs can't sink any lower....they do. It's amazing really-their ability to redefine "suck". Takes talent.

Right now, I've never been more embarrassed to be a Cubs fan. I've taken a lot of ridicule in the 20+ years I've followed them, but I think, now, I've finally had enough.....of this team. They're 10 games under .500 at the end of June and I really have not witnessed anything that would make me think they give a shit, or are trying. They're lackluster and well, lazy. The only players exempt from my rant are rookie Tyler Colvin (and no, not just because he's cute), Marlon Byrd (one of the few that actually shows hustle....and is batting over .200), Carlos Silva (who's resurgence is nothing short of amazing. Oh, and he should be 11-0, not 8-2, just sayin) and I suppose closer Carlos Marmol (we'll ignore the last two games....typically Marm is lights out. Unfortunately, he doesn't get many chances to be in a save situation because, well, the Cubs are never winning in the 9th).

I'm embarrassed by the lackluster play....and I'm embarrassed about the whole Carlos Zambrano fiasco. Ok, so NOW he needs psychological help? You people didn't know this say, FIVE YEARS AGO? If they're trying to make him trade bait, this isn't helping. Teams don't want to take on crazy, Mr. Hendry. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I understand Z's latest tirade. Sure, he's bat shit nuts, but he's also frustrated with this shitty team, and who can blame him? So am I.

There are rumors that Ted Lilly is on the trade block. Now, I loves myself some Ted Lilly (he's pitched far better than his record shows....) but is it fair to him to hope he stays on this shittastic team just because he's one of my favorite players? No...he deserves to be on a team that gives a shit. I hope he finds a good home.

As for the rest of the team, they can all go. All of them. And that includes Lou Piniella and that sorry excuse for a GM, Jim Hendry.

Yes, I realize I'm having a Zambrano-like outburst right now and that I've used several forms of the word "shit". But I am done. Done with this stupid team. Done wasting my time watching games and hoping, hoping this is the game that turns it around. They're not turning anything around this year. Or even next year. The part I hate most of all is that I love baseball. Love it. And the Cubs are taking the love of the game away from me. For that, I hate them.

Go Phillies? Pirates? Nats?

4 comments:

J.J. said...

I am right there with you KD. I won't switch my allegiance to another team, but I won't be watching much baseball the rest of this season. We have a work outing every year where the tickets are FREE, and I may not even go to that game.

KD said...

isn't that just sad, JJ?

If someone offered me free tix behind home plate and the chance to meet the players I'd still turn it down. Ok....maybe not. But only so I could yell at them in person. Yea, that could be fun.....

Blue said...

Go Royals!

KD said...

ha ha! Royals, huh? Works for me... :)