Saturday, June 19, 2010

KD's rants, observations and suggestions for the 2010 Chicago Cubs

In the 20+ years I've been a Cubs fan, I've seen a lot of bad teams (pretty much the entire decade of the 1990's). We're talking BAD. But never in my entire career as a Cubs fan (face it, it's like a job) have I ever been so disappointed in a team. Ever. Just when you think this 2010 team can't get any worse, they find new ways to prove you wrong. Ten errors in five games? Check. Losing 12-0 on a Ted Lilly day? Check check. Continuing to allow John Grabow and Bob Howry to have jobs in MLB? Check check check. It's disgusting, and, quite frankly, sad. In fact, I'm passed the point of being pissed because, well, this team is not worth my energy. It's not worth increasing my risk of having a stroke because my BP is through the roof after yet another exasperating game. I haven't even thrown any pillows at my TV this season because I just don't care anymore. The 2010 Cubs have caused me to lose my will to love baseball. And that, my friends, is the saddest thing of all.

That said, I do have some thoughts, ideas, suggestions that I think most Cubs fans would agree would be most useful. Not that the powers that be care what us Cubs fans think (hello, BP Cup, anyone?), but here's my take:

1. Play Tyler Colvin EVERY DAY. I don't care who you have to get rid of to make that happen, just f**kin make it happen. The kid has "superstar" written all over him and, really, it'd probably be in his best interest to go to another team. One that won't either ruin him or let his natural talent go to waste. Same goes for Starlin Castro.

2. I can't stress this next point nearly enough-GET RID OF JOHN GRABOW AND BOB HOWRY. They are a disgrace. I could pitch better than both of them...underhanded...with a whiffleball....with my eyes closed....while drunk. Hell, Bob Howry's necklace(s) can pitch better. No MLB team deserves to have their suckiness cast upon them.

3. I like Xavier Nady and Fukudome, BUT....trade them while they still have some value. Sori, Byrd and Colvin are all the outfielders you need. Get some f**kin bullpen help. Just sayin.

4. Buh bye Lou Piniella and Jim Hendry. 'Nuff said.

5. Two words-FIRE. SALE.

6. Keep Marlon Byrd happy. Great player, even better team player. One of the few that hasn't pissed me off this season.

7. Lower ticket prices. No one wants to pay that much of their hard earned money to watch this shit. Not even the die-hardest of the die-hard. Dear Ricketts Family, have you noticed the empty seats in the stands? For the first time in YEARS, there are empty seats at Wrigley. Cubs fans have finally had enough. Sad.

8. Get rid of John Grabow. Wait, did I already mention that?

9. Clear out the bullpen with the exception of Marmol, Cashner and Marshall. The rest? Nice knowin ya.

10. Make it mandatory that Ryan Theriot lose the soul patch. It looks ridiculous.

11. In observing this team, it is clear that THEY have accepted that they suck.

12. The offense is worse than last year. How is that even possible?????

13. I love this team. There are several of the players that I've watched for years and that I love dearly, but......get rid of them. I'm serious. Keep the kids, let them play, let's pull a Pittsburgh Pirates and clean house, get some prospects and rebuild. It's their only hope. For reals.

I tried going on Cubs sabbatical. For a couple of weeks, I found that I really didn't miss them and, in fact, was quite productive when I didn't have to waste 3 hours of every day following a game and then subsequently spending the next few hours stewing over the suckage. In fact, maybe the suckiness is good for me. I can concentrate on other things in my life that are actually important. That said, if they put together even the slightest run at goodness, they'd probably have me back in their grasp. Bastards.

6 comments:

Jen Estes said...

I second everything. Except Theriot's soul patch, in which case can I both second and third its immediate dismissal? (Perhaps by waxing, let the pain be a lesson.)

Ugh Cubs Ugh. That is all.

KD said...

you can second, third AND fourth that motion. Yes, perhaps we're taking our anger out on the soul patch, but at this point, I don't care....

Jen Estes said...

Well, first I blamed Hendry, then the bullpen, then the offense, then Lou, then Ricketts, then the defense, then the rotation -- I think all we have left to blame is the soul patch. Perhaps........... what we should have been blaming all along? And so the "Fire the Soul Patch" campaign begins.

KD said...

the soul patch is the root of all evil.
FIRE THE SOUL PATCH!
FIRE THE SOUL PATCH!
FIRE THE SOUL PATCH!

J.J. said...

Well, I noticed that you gals were waffling over firing the soul patch after the Cubs won big today, but I still say get rid of it --even if it makes them play worse! That's how much I hate it.

Grabow and Howry. UGH. I have no idea what Hendry was thinking when he brought Howry back. He should be fired just for that genius move.

KD said...

yea...I'm still leaning toward hating the soul patch....