Monday, June 21, 2010

Mi-li-wau-kee or bust

Yours truly is heading to the great Cheesehead state on Wednesday. No, not for pleasure, although I'm sure it's a delightful place. No, my boss (and my bosses boss) and I are heading to the greater Milwaukee area to visit some of our facilities (AKA "psych hospitals"). A meet and greet, if you will. Only one of the hospitals we're visiting is actually one I manage, but it'll be good to put faces with names. They're very excited. They tell me I have to have a brat while I'm there. Brats are gross, so I think I'll sit that one out. Beer? No thanks-it's all Miller products. Ew. Wait, is Old Style a Miller product???? They also tell me that water fountains are known as "bubblers"there. Is this true?

We are apparently heading to Milwaukee at just the right time-Summerfest starts on Thursday. Unfortunately, we leave Thursday evening, so I will be missing out on seeing Night Ranger and Kool and the Gang. Sons of bitches that makes me sad. Actually, woulda been nice to be there this weekend as Gavin DeGraw plays on Saturday. As y'all know, I just saw him perform in Vegas, and would be TOTALLY down for seeing him again. But 'tis not to be.

We're staying in Racine...I'm not exactly sure how close to Milwaukee that is, but I didn't make the travel plans, so I won't complain. I'm just along for the (free) ride. Hallelujah for business trips!

8 comments:

J.J. said...

Ah, welcome to the great state of cheese, KD. It's too bad you don't like brats, they are everywhere around here, and they make a lot of variations. If you are staying by the lake it is very pretty - and VERY LOW HUMIDITY - great for your hair!

KD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KD said...

we're staying at the Radisson in Racine...is that by the lake? I'm trying to assess whether or not I should bother bringing my hair straightener....my folks in Wauwatosa told me it was humid there, but I don't know if my idea of humid and their's is the same (it was like 100% humidity here today...or close to it).

I learned today that Milwaukee is home to the largest dinosaur head, it is also the home of Harley-Davidson and the first typewriter was made in Milwaukee. Yes, I worked hard today.

Jen Estes said...

Godspeed, KD. Bring me back an 8-ball from the hotel pool table and a Remetee t-shirt from, let's face it, any gas station in the greater Milwaukee area.

KD said...

I just hope I can get my hands on one of those hot t-shirts.....

J.J. said...

Racine is on the lake, south of Milwaukee. If you have a chance you should at least drive by the Milwaukee Art Museaum. The building is a work of art. I have never seen those horrible Braun shirts, but then again, I have not been looking for them.

J.J. said...

Oh yeah, the humidity. Up here bad humidity is like today and it's around 68%. I've been to St. Louis, and Milwaukee's got nothing on on STL's humidity.

KD said...

Thx, JJ. The humidity is so high here today that I could barely breathe when I walked outside to leave for work...at 7:45am. Ugh.