Monday, July 27, 2009

The Cubs are in First Place; Milton Bradley is still a d-bag

Ah, first place, even if it's only for a day, first place feels good. After sweeping the Reds this weekend, and the Cardinals losing 2 of 3 to the Phillies (the scariest team in baseball, in my opinion), the Chicago Cubs are actually in First Place in the NL Central. If you'd told me a month ago that that would happen, I would have told you that you were out of your effin mind. And then I would have cried myself to sleep and dreamed of the 2010 season (too melodramatic?).

I do have one request, if Milton Bradley could just NOT be allowed to talk-EVER, I'd be ok with that. Miltie just continues to fuel the fire and give everyone reasons to hate him. No wonder he sits alone on the Cubs bench (ever notice that?)-even his own team mates think he's a douchebag. That's not good. Yes, Miltie is beginning to hit (from the left side even!), but hell, he should have been doing that ALL season. No more blaming the fans for booing you (which you deserved, by the way) and no more talking smack about the media (they're just reporting the news and guess what Miltie, you pretty much suck. Deal with it).

I like the direction the Cubs are going-sure, my love Ted Lilly is on the DL, but maybe, just maybe, we get him back just in time to make a real playoff push and/or blow the rest of the NL Central out of the water (the latter would be my preference). D Lee is hitting, Rami appears to be well healed and is playing awesomely like he always does, and even Soriano is starting to hit from the 6 spot (message to Lou Piniella-leave him there!). And who'd a thunk Kevin Gregg would have 21 saves, with only 3 blown? I mean, seriously, who'd a thunk it?

I'm cautiously optimistic Cubs fans. Yes, the Cardinals have some great hitters and, yes, the Ass-tros are having their typical 2nd half rush for the pennant, but if the pre-season favorite Cubs can continue to play like they're SUPPOSED to, then we just might have a three-peat. Fingers crossed, buckle up because it's gonna be a bumpy, but hopefully worth it, ride. :)

2 comments:

Jen Estes said...

Remember the good ol' days (the first month of the season) when MB was incommunicado with the media?

I cannot believe that after the horrible first half of slackers & injuries to um, EVERYONE we are at first place. Or, less well said, in a post I just read from a Yankees fan: "I mean really what's more pathetic, the Cubs playing pretty bad in the first half and still being in it, or the Cards, with Pujols, making moves, and still behind the Cubs?"

KD said...

Sadly, that Yankees fan makes a fine point....