Monday, August 29, 2011

Fantasy Football

I am now the proud owner of a fantasy football team. For the first time. I've done fantasy baseball before-I'm familiar with most of the players in both leagues and know the game well, but football is a whole 'nother world. I watch it, I love my Rams, and I get the basics, but I don't understand all the positions (what the F is a nickelback besides a crappy Canadian band?), I don't get the plays, and I am sometimes confused about who is on offense and who is on defense. What I DO know is that Sam Bradford is awesome, so is Steven Jackson and I have a crush on Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo (it's the East Coast accent). So, when my brother decided to put a league together, I thought it might be fun to try it out. And, I named my team Sam's Rams.

Apparently, fantasy football is taken very seriously, I mean, you have a scheduled draft day/time and everything-WTH? So, in order to not draft a completely crappy team, I did my homework. I printed out the ESPN.com fantasy football cheat sheet and studied who the top ranked people were. I knew what positions I needed to draft thanks to my league commissioner/brother, so, I earmarked some players I wanted. Then.....I played the dumb girl card as a bluff. It worked. You should have heard the uproar from my fellow league participants when I landed Philip Rivers as my QB. Now, the only reason I know he is good is because I listen to ESPN radio to and from work every single day and they talk about him all the freakin time, so, when my brother's girlfriend (we're the only girls in this 10 team league-holla!) took my first choice, Aaron Rodgers, I swooped in for the kill with Rivers. My team is as follows (complete with my reasoning for choosing them), you tell me if it's good or not:

QB-Philip Rivers (he's apparently amazing. Guess we'll find out)
QB (backup)-Sam Bradford (hells yes! I loves me some Sammy B...I even have his jersey)
RB-Steven Jackson (he's awesome and....I'm a total homer)
RB-Benjarvus Green-Ellis (never heard of him, but he was ranked high and on the Patriots, so I went with it)
RB/WR-Ladanian Tomlinson (I'd heard his name before, I don't know if he's actually good though)
WR-Reggie Wayne (again, he was ranked high, so seemed like a good idea)
WR-Mike Sims Walker (again being a homer. I love my Rams!)
WR-Danny Amendola (Ram, he's super hot, and he's like the little engine that could....love him!)
TE-Greg Olsen (I don't really know what a tight end does, but this guy was ranked high.)
D/ST-I got the Eagles defense/special teams. (I don't really know much more than that. Hope they're good)
K-Nate Kaeding (I wanted Rams kicker Josh Brown, but he was already taken. This guy will work.)
HC-the dude from the Steelers (His team always makes the playoffs, so, I'll take him.)

Bench players:
Chad Ochocinco-I saw him on Dancing With the Stars and he was pretty funny. Plus, he's kinda hot.
James Jones-never heard of him, but he's on the Packers and they won the Super Bowl last year. So, there's that.
Darren Sproles-I've heard his name before....and that's about it.
Dustin Keller-never heard of him, but he's on Mike Greenberg's Jets, so that's good enough for me.
DeMarco Murray-never heard of him either.
Jason Snelling-never heard of him either....I think this is when I started getting tired of the draft.
Danario Alexander-DX may not even make the Rams team, but he's a Mizzou alum and we love him here in the STL. Go DX go!

So....whaddya think? Is Sam's Rams a worthy team?

No comments: